lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Question How to drain/refill differential-2008 txt

Sorry for being such a pain, but trying to understand this (new to me) golf cart!! I set out today to change oil in the differential of this 2008 TXT. I am now totally stumped as there does not seem to be a fill/check hole anywhere!! I'm ready to drill and tap one into the side of the diff. !!! I have easily found the "giant" drain plug in the bottom (hope that's not the fill hole) but no provision anywhere for filling or checking. The technical service manual does show a fill/check screw but the picture is not clear as to where it is. Was thinking that maybe they use one of cover mounting bolts for checking/filling but not sure. Can anyone shed some light on this mystery. RAY

P.S.- Was thinking about mixing some 90 wt gear lube along with the specified 30 wt. as my diff. seems to be a little "whiney". Looking for any thoughts/comments on this.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
wrongway
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to drain/refill differential-2008 txt

What you think is the drain plug is the check/fill hole. Just punp it in until it starts to run out. To drain, you have to remove the cover.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the enlightenment, I was suspecting something like that!! That's a really "special" design. Filling from the bottom should really be a treat!! Must be a "standpipe" type design. I'll try to post a pic when I get the cover off. I'll hold any further comments until after I see it and try it. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
........... Was thinking about mixing some 90 wt gear lube along with the specified 30 wt. as my diff. seems to be a little "whiney". Looking for any thoughts/comments on this.
Definitely better than the oatmeal and sawdust "additives" used car salesmen used to use to "fix" noisy gears.

Here's what I used to tone down the whine in my 2008 PDS.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=7&loc=show

I used a 60cc syringe and flexible tubing to suck out all the old oil I could and refilled with a 5:1 mix of 30wt oil and Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer.
Still whines a bit, but a lot quieter and has a much more melodic tone.

I use the same mix in the crankcase of my riding and push mowers and a 14:1 mix with 5w30 in my Northstar engines (they hold 7.5 qts of oil )
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=JohnnieB;652424]Definitely better than the oatmeal and sawdust "additives" used car salesmen used to use to "fix" noisy gears.

Here's what I used to tone down the whine in my 2008 PDS.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=7&loc=show

I used a 60cc syringe and flexible tubing to suck out all the old oil I could and refilled with a 5:1 mix of 30wt oil and Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer.
Still whines a bit, but a lot quieter and has a much more melodic tone.

I use the same mix in the crankcase of my riding and push mowers and a 14:1 mix with 5w30 in my Northstar engines (they hold 7.5 qts of oil )[/QUOTE

" JohnnieB ", I second the recommendation for the " Lucas " oil treatment! It is great stuff! For those of you that have Fords with whiny power steering pumps, a teense of oil stabilizer shuts them right up! You can use it in anything and it will help it work better!

Happy Thanksgiving!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

This design is an engineering joke. Nice forethought there EZGO engineers. It's a user unfriendly design for sure.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
This design is an engineering joke. Nice forethought there EZGO engineers. It's a user unfriendly design for sure.
I cheat! I unscrew my axle vent and pour in the oil with a small funnel! I've got tons of room in my cart, so I don't know how easy it would be to get to the axle vent on a standard cart.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
I cheat! I unscrew my axle vent and pour in the oil with a small funnel! I've got tons of room in my cart, so I don't know how easy it would be to get to the axle vent on a standard cart.
That is a good idea but your's must be different than the TXT's. There is no vent on the TXT electric rear ends that I know of.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
Thanks for the enlightenment, I was suspecting something like that!! That's a really "special" design. Filling from the bottom should really be a treat!! Must be a "standpipe" type design. I'll try to post a pic when I get the cover off. I'll hold any further comments until after I see it and try it. - RAY
Check this out, gornoman shows you how

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post439247
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

He is apparently much steadier than me. I did it that way the last time I had mine apart and ended up with as much on me and the shop floor as in the pan.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO