lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2021, 11:57 PM   #1
croatian0
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yahama YDRE 2014 w/ Admiral Motor Clicking/Rattle

Hey I was looking for some help with my 2014 Yahama running a Admiral MOT-D2 motor with an alltrax xct-400 controller, lifted on 22 tires. I bought the cart used last spring and its been running great since I purchased it. I recently noticed I was getting less and less distance and decided to take it to a local shop to replace the existing (7yr old Trojan 875s) with brand new Trojan 875s. After I got it home from the battery replacement I drove it through my hilly neighborhood for a normal ride for about 10 minutes, then parked and charged overnight. Next day I drove it for all of 2 minutes and noticed a performance problem then a repetitive low clicking/rattle noise coming from the motor/rear end area. I took it home immediately and parked it. I then noticed what was very similar to a car brakes have been heavily depressed smell. I have since attempted to drive it up and down the driveway and I still hear this rattle/clicking that is coming from the motor/rear end (forward and reverse). The cadence of the noise follows the acceleration. I don't smell the brakes have been depressed smell on my driveway test drives. As mentioned the cart also appears to have a slower top speed and overall acceleration. Something is wrong. Motor ? Regen braking? Axle/Gears? Why or how could new batteries play into this or was it just luck? Could this be related to something else in the rear end?

Thanks for any troubleshooting tips!
croatian0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yahama YDRE 2014 w/ Admiral Motor Clicking/Rattle

Tow/run switch off. Unlock parking brake, push cart, it should roll freely. Then drive the cart around a little to warm things up & repeat test.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #3
croatian0
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks cgtech for the help! Ok, here is what I did and how it turned out.

Test: Put cart in tow mode. Released brake. Pushed cart.
Results: Cart rolled freely, noise still heard in both forward and reverse.

Test: Put cart back in Run, drove around for 5 minutes. Parked. Switched to tow mode. Released brake and pushed.
Results: Heard noise the whole time while driving on flat terrain, uphill, downhill, gas pedal depressed and gas pedal not depressed. Same results as before with tow mode and brake released, heard the noise when pushing.

The noise is very very similar to a faint version of... a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle if you know what I mean.

Got any thoughts on what it could be? Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Maybe the commutator is rough from heat/warping. I'd probably take the motor to the local starter/alternator/generator rebuild shop & have the armature checked out.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
croatian0
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well, I decided to pull the motor tonight to see if I could find anything out of the ordinary. See pictures attached. Appears to be some melting, can’t tell if it’s a plastic or metal or what. The smell is 100% that of burnt plastic/heavily depressed brakes/electrical.

Taking a look around the web at motor problem pictures and I guess it looks like over revving? Can someone explain how that happens in my case? Would the damage I have be caused over time or all of a sudden? Like I mentioned, I had the cart at a local shop to swap the batteries then when I got it home this happened within 1/2 mile of driving it.

What should I do next? Ask the local shop any questions? Does this look like a motor replacement or is this something that can be repaired? Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2021, 11:28 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That end looks pretty normal to me. Motors don’t smell great, they’re closed up with no ventilation and there is epoxy and grated up carbon chunks and copper from the brushes and all kinds of other chemicals floating around in there.
If the noise is coming from the motor, it will be at the other end where the brushes are. All you’re looking at is the coupling that mates the armature to the transmission. No real magic happening there, all the business is done at the other end, and if something is gonna be toasted it will be at the brush end.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:13 AM   #7
croatian0
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Appreciate the reply. I was more concerned about this (highlighted in red). Looks like a blob of some sort of melted material. Looking at the
Red Hawk Admiral MOT-D2 webpage it doesn’t appear to have that blob/smear on the new motor picture. If it’s normal, all good I will happily take the motor housing off and take more pictures for further diagnosis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA3152DB-22AF-4A42-BC6C-7037B6E222B7.jpg (90.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:39 PM   #8
croatian0
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I was able to remove the Admiral motor housing. The inside of this thing is loaded with carbon dust. I have attached a few photos. I see one or two small copper exposed spots on the communicator, see pic. Any tips on getting the armature full off that back plate? Does anything look out of the ordinary?
Old 01-19-2021, 03:49 AM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

It looks a bit rough on both ends. (Dont worry about the "blob", that putty was put there on purpose for balancing). But those windings look pretty grey, should be copper to maroon color. And the commutator looks pretty rough too. Off to the rebuilders for that one, or a new motor.

This part looks bad (my red circle). like maybe a short.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210119_015057.jpg (122.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-21-2021, 04:20 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The fourth picture shows some pretty significant commutator damage. Probably time for a new motor.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha