lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #1
brianjwilson
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default How many amps should I see climbing hills?

I just installed a new Admiral MOT-D4 with my Alltrax XCT 48500 controller, 2ga cables, US Battery 6x8v pack, etc. The cart is lifted with 22" tires. I was expecting a bit more power climbing hills, and noticed that my amperage never climbs above 200-225 amps, even though the hills are only 10-20 seconds of climbing. With this motor at 14hp and the rest of my setup I would have expected higher current and less speed drop when climbing. Any ideas? No hot cables / connections, fully charged pack. Max current in controller set at 400. I'm at a loss.
brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2022, 08:08 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: How many amps should I see climbing hills?

Electric motor HP ratings are almost meaningless. You don't say what your gearing is or how well it's accelerating. You don't even say what cart model you have. But your currents sound about normal for normal gearing.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:05 PM   #3
brianjwilson
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It's a Yamaha G19 with I believe normal gears. It accelerates great and has plenty of torque. I guess I don't understand what dictates the current. I would have expected to see current approaching max controller settings if that is what would be required to maintain speed while climbing. Just like it approaches near zero when coasting before regen kicks in. I understand why gearing would affect the torque produced at the wheels, but not the current running through the motor. Am I misunderstanding how that works? Is the battery pack the limiting factor (I didnt think so)? Could you please explain it? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:29 AM   #4
brianjwilson
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I found a really good blog post that describes it. Seems 200 - 250 amps is about right. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:25 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjwilson View Post
I found a really good blog post that describes it. Seems 200 - 250 amps is about right. Thanks.
Link the forum to blog or copy and paste so others can benefit please.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #6
brianjwilson
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Got it. Wasn't sure if that was OK to do. Here is the link...

https://www.golfcartstuffhodgepodge....er-controller/

This was helpful to read through for me. And the current I'm seeing is consistent with the horsepower ratings of the motors I have tried on my cart. I didn't realize what a margin of safety there was in the controller capacity compared to what the motor can handle.

For my situation, I'm just climbing too many steep hills too often with too big of tires I think. I have plenty of available RPMs for the speed I want the cart to go. So I'm swapping out the rear end gears for a 15:1 and that should give a 20% torque boost to help keep my speed when climbing. Will update the group after I do that with the results.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:15 PM   #7
gable74
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Strange. I have the Plowman Riot Kit and Alltrax 48500 controller in my g29. I also have a 6" lift and 23" tires. My cart will climb any hill I thrown at it. That's with me (180lbs), my wife (100lbs), and my dog (70lbs) sitting in the front seat. I keep the controller set at 400A max output. This hill coming from the creek rises about 50' in a very short distance and the cart doesn't miss a beat. The stock motor/controller would not make it 25' (with just me in the cart) before failing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210117_144130.jpg (753.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210117_144530.jpg (691.5 KB, 0 views)
gable74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha