lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
deerslayer1985
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default 1991 Yamaha G2 starting problems....? Help!

My Yamaha G2 has been acting up the last couple weeks. It would start to turn over, and then quit, and occasionally would start up, and run fine. There was no rhyme or reason as to when it would work or wouldn't. I checked the battery, and its good. I then took the starter apart, and put new brushes in it. I also cleaned it up, and put it all back together. The same thing happens. Except for now it seems to be worse. I can hardly ever get it to crank over. I will push in on the pedal, and you hear the click, and the clutch will start to spin, and move maybe an inch or so. Then sometimes it will spin the clutch around 1 or 2 times, and then quit. I do not know what else to check for. It seems like everything is getting power, and starting to work.....Any Ideas of what to check for? Thanks for any help...
deerslayer1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
dragos28
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1991 Yamaha G2 starting problems....? Help!

Did you check the oil?
if its turning over have you tried the choke?
check the air intake box to make sure its clean, also air tight?
spark plug...
dragos28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
deerslayer1985
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Yes it has oil in it. Yes I've tried choking it. The air box is sealed off tight. I didn't take it apart to see if it is clean. I also didn't check the spark plug. Shouldn't the starter/generator turn the engine over regardless weather the engine starts or not? I'm not sure if it does just asking....I'll check the spark plug, and see if the air box is clean.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
dragos28
Gone Wild

So, the starter is not turning over the engine... as in the starter is not functioning, or as in the engine is seized?
hopefully its just the starter..

can you remove the belt from the starter to the engine and verify that the starter actually functions..
Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
deerslayer1985
Getting Wild
Yamaha

The drive clutch will spin freely by hand. Does that mean the engine will spin freely, and is not seized up? It must not be seized up, because it will occasionally start and move. I am thinking it is something to do with starter, but not totally sure. About 49 out of 50 times it will just barely start to turn the drive clutch when pressing the pedal. So when I press the pedal in like I am going to move forward. It will make the click noise, and the starter will start to operate then like quit real fast. If I hold down on the pedal it will just start to click over and over again. Then on rare occasion maybe 1 out of 50 tried it will start up and take off. If you let off and try to start again it won't move until that special try......So I am guessing the starting is not working, but not completely sure. I am asking what you guys think..
Old 12-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had that and even tho the battery showed 12,5 volts it was just a surface charge, replaced battery and all was good.
Have the battery load tested.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
dragos28
Gone Wild

maybe a jumpstart from your car/truck to confirm that its the battery...
Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
deerslayer1985
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I had put the battery on the charger 2 or 3 times checking to make sure it was charged up. I then would test with a multimeter.....It would always show it charged fully, and was showing good on the multimeter. I decided to just swap the battery out for the one on my Dads trolling motor.......Sure enough it worked. It started right up, and starts every time....Thanks for the help guys! Its fixed now!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
dragos28
Gone Wild

awesome!

enjoy!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #10
G9issues
Not Yet Wild

Never been on one of these forums.
Just bought a 91 g9.
Re wired it, has spark, fuel pump pulsing fuel to carb, cleaned carb, starts for a few seconds then dies. After cranking for 5-7 seconds re starts for another few.
Any ideas?
G9issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha