lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Default LED Battery Indicator

Well it took almost 2 weeks but this thing finally arrived. I wired the positive to the switched side of my ignition key and the negative straight to the battery pack neg. It took all of 20 mins. to install, 10 of which were used to find the right sized hole saw. Also the GPS shows my Max speed of 28.6 so thanks to all here who have helped obtain that speed!--highest yet was 29.8 MPH

oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Default Re: LED Battery Indicator

Just so I understand and get this right...I want to do voltage readings against the LED positions. The voltage being checked is sitting still, no throttle right? Because when Im cranking along, my batteries hang in the 48 volt range but when I stop, the voltage raises and creeps back to 49 or 50+. So when they say batteries are 50% down, and at 48.4 volts....thats after sitting still for a few moments and letting battery readings stabilize..right ? or wrong?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yep that is right...watch that gauge like a hawk. Go out and run up some hills till a led falls off then stop wait 1 minute(?) and take a reading .... report back here.....I'm gonna guess that your pack will drop quite a bit before any led drops off?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Yesterday at Ft. Wilderness I ran the cart for just over 32 miles and the LED gauge finally hit in the red. After bringing the cart back to the motor home and just before charging it for the night the voltage was 48.3. Earlier the LED gauge dropped to the last green LED and when stopped it ran back up to the first green but the actual voltage was 50.4 after I think around 20 miles.

When I was in River Ranch several weeks ago the LED gauge did the same thing, showing in the yellow at some points but once stopped the voltage was still good, over 80% left.

Yesterday my digital volt meter would drop up to 4 volts during running, going up and down with my starting voltage yesterday at 51.7, one hour after the charger shut off. Most of the time my start voltage is 51.3. When the LED was in the red the volt meter would fluctuate between the 48.3 and 44.5 volts while running. In my opinion the gauge really cannot be used as a true measure of battery voltage until you are at a dead stop for a few minutes and even then it's questionable. I do like the actual digital meter reading much better and I think I'm going to figure a way to mount one inside the dash. I had more reading but this is pretty much the way it went.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
dereckbc
Gone Wild

State Of Charge meters are fairly useless in real applications because the only way for a SOC to be usefull in this application is after the batteries have been at rest for 4 to 6 hours. That is why your votage rises after it has sit for a while or over night.

Now there is a way to make it uselful in real time, but it involves a lot of work and data recording by using a hydrometer and thermometer, and taking voltage readings during various stages of the discharge cycle.
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Yesterday at Ft. Wilderness I ran the cart for just over 32 miles and the LED gauge finally hit in the red. After bringing the cart back to the motor home and just before charging it for the night the voltage was 48.3. Earlier the LED gauge dropped to the last green LED and when stopped it ran back up to the first green but the actual voltage was 50.4 after I think around 20 miles.
I forgot to mention that at the end of the night when the actual voltage was at 48.3 the LED gauge was sitting on the last Green LED, just before the first yellow.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
tlumpkin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey OX I am installing a 3 wire 48V led meter tonight. I am not showing 48V at my ign switch. Will the meter be accurate hooking to the switch? Do you know why my meter has 3 wires? They are not labled.

Thanks

Todd
tlumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Is it the same LED meter as in the first post where I had the picture of mine??
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
tlumpkin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No it is a horizonal I got it from Everything Carts. I battled with turn signals last night and never did get it working. Tonight is a new night. I am going to regroup and try again...lol.. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
tlumpkin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Got it OX. I called Everything Carts and Ec was alot of help. The top 2 connectors are 48V + and - and the single bottom connector is 48V + from the ign switch. It worked like a champ. Thanks for trying to help me out.

Todd
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car