lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
Vaslim
Not Yet Wild

Default 12v source NON IGNITION

hooking up undercarriage lights this weekend on a 2022 i40. i know ive got the already 12v reduced fuse under cup holders, but where i use my cart at, we're chust chilling by the lake or deck partying, so i dont want my blinding DRL's on or dash sreen on while im just chillin to some mood lights and music. sound bar is wireless/ recargeable exogear, so know woories there, just the lighting issue. thoughts anyone? thought about a 12v battery under rear seat and just plug in a maintainer when needed
Vaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: 12v source NON IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaslim View Post
hooking up undercarriage lights this weekend on a 2022 i40. i know ive got the already 12v reduced fuse under cup holders, but where i use my cart at, we're chust chilling by the lake or deck partying, so i dont want my blinding DRL's on or dash sreen on while im just chillin to some mood lights and music. sound bar is wireless/ recargeable exogear, so know woories there, just the lighting issue. thoughts anyone? thought about a 12v battery under rear seat and just plug in a maintainer when needed
Your scenario is the only one I'd recommend a second reducer. Just get a 48v to 12v reducer and hook it directly to the batteries and a dash switch (i.e. accessory) and bypass the controller.

Then whenever your switch is on, the reducer is powered, and your 12v devices all have power.

Either second reducer or use your existing reducer and splice the 48v input power to a relay + switch + directly to batteries. Then if your key isn't "on", you can just flip the bypass switch to power the onboard reducer. The issue here though is your lights, dash, etc. turn on.

If this is only for LED lights, then you might just consider a rechargeable battery or something simple since they hardly draw any power...but if you wanted your soundbar and things to work as well then you'd need more power.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:56 PM   #3
Vaslim
Not Yet Wild

thanks ATrain, thats what i was thinking, just another 12v battery with a maintainer on it, maybe wire it in to the charging port for cart so every time i charge cart it is charging aux batt also . thanks again
Vaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:52 PM   #4
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
thanks ATrain, thats what i was thinking, just another 12v battery with a maintainer on it, maybe wire it in to the charging port for cart so every time i charge cart it is charging aux batt also . thanks again
Hopefully I helped, but this isn't exactly what I said. If you have room for an extra battery, sure!...but it's really extra work, money, and overhead that you don't really need.

Just a secondary reducer (like this) with a switch is all you need. Then you can avoid the battery AND second charger entirely and you just buy that thing plus a switch.

You're choosing between a lifetime of dealing with a second battery+charger or a onetime effort of installing this little doodad.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #5
carguy1985
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I would go 2nd reducer.
I am running this one
https://www.amazon.com/10L0L-Voltage...2-0dd6e83b6876

I have it wired as follows
yellow to 48+
black to 48-
Blue Capped
Red to fuseblock for accessories
green (turns reducer on and off) to this switch ( https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-1-2-Bo...ps%2C99&sr=8-1 )

This switch under poisiton one goes all the way up to the front under cupholders to draw 48v key power to turn reducer on, position 2 will go directly to the 48+ so that i can turn accessories on without having to have key in the cart.

The off setting is nice because it allows you to turn off anything on the reducer if you are in a power pinch.

The only flaw and it is fixable is if you use the both feature, it will back feed your car and power it on without the key, this is fixed by putting a diode in the line that is the keypower. Diodes basically prevent current from flowing in 2 directions.
carguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon