lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2022, 09:18 AM   #1
cruisecontrol49
Not Yet Wild

Default replacement clutch

I have a 1993 DS with a blown clutch idler bearing, apparently it destroyed some other parts (spring retainer 1014050, spiral backup rings 1014056,) etc as all I could find were disintegrated pieces. The clutch weights seem in good shape.

I am debating whether to replace the bearing + other parts, or buy a new clutch.

1) could you recommend a good aftermarket clutch supplier?
2) are the '97 & up clutches ok for the '93 CCW rotation?

thank you all for your knowledge, and your time...this site has been an enormous help to me.
cruisecontrol49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: replacement clutch

If that many parts have gone bad I wouldn’t bother trying to rebuild it.

I’ve bought several of the cheap ones on Amazon and had good luck with them. I used one in my carryall under heavy use conditions for about 2 years before I moved and sold that cart. It was on 25” tires. My other carts I’ve had for about a year each with those clutches and never had any problems.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #3
cruisecontrol49
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the reply CP....any particular supplier, or they pretty much all coming from the same china manufacturer?
Old 01-10-2022, 06:50 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecontrol49 View Post
thanks for the reply CP....any particular supplier, or they pretty much all coming from the same china manufacturer?
I’m pretty sure they’re all probably the same but Amazon says I’ve bought 3 of these and never had a problem with them. They come from golf cart king via Amazon but sometimes the shipping is faster through the Amazon path than ordering directly from the king.

Only thing to keep in mind is you may have to swap your starter/gen pulley from your old clutch to the new one if they’re not the same size. But that’s only 3 bolts and takes about 5 seconds. If your old clutch has a small pulley on it though, sometimes switching to a bigger one can make for easier starts.

Club Car Gas 1997-up DS & Precedent Golf Cart Drive Clutch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQBS6LS...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #5
cruisecontrol49
Not Yet Wild

thanks again CP...I knew the pulley would have to be swapped, I just have not found a lot of info on putting the clutch for a CW motor ('97-up) on a CCW (pre-97) motor...it seems that just about all available clutches for sale are 97-up .... I seen a couple of people have said it's not an issue, and others said they had bolt-up issues

I appreciate your kindness
Old 01-10-2022, 11:09 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The last one I put on a 93 carryall I bought for $75 engine rebuild on that cart is in the sticky section above lol. Because it was a cheap cart I didn’t want to put any more money into it than I had to. No problems at all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E6A16A41-CBD2-44E1-A9E9-7516DEFDAF43.jpg (416.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg B787D3BA-2804-4B36-83BD-71C42227315D.jpg (492.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-11-2022, 12:10 AM   #7
cruisecontrol49
Not Yet Wild

I dug a little deeper into the search function and the general consensus seems to be that there is not much difference between clutches as far as rotation is concerned. Of course, this pertains to the PRIMARY DRIVE clutch.

thanks one and all for your knowledge!
Old 01-13-2022, 08:38 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

A lot of the cheaper clutches on the jungle site are Ok, but avoid like the plague anything by the brand “Vevor”. 100% absolute JUNK.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:34 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecontrol49 View Post
2) are the '97 & up clutches ok for the '93 CCW rotation?
I have done lots of videos on this that are all over YouTube. Yes the newer drive clutch will work just fine. Swap your v-pulley from then old clutch onto the new one and stick it on.

Click below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55yeRnUqqVs
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:49 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’ve got a post in here somewhere as well taking apart an oem 97+ and an oem from my 93 when I removed it, and could not tell any discernible difference between the two. Looked to have the same springs, weights and counterweights same orientation, etc. I’m sure there is SOME type of difference but I don’t know what that is. Maybe spring tension or something…

I really ran that 93 hard, if there was something that was going to real it would have while I had it. It still worked perfect when I moved to Michigan and traded it for the electric DS I’ve got now
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car