lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #1
rbridges
Not Yet Wild

Default please help me understand f/r switch ohm readings

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...5&d=1336743911

we had a f/r switch go bad last summer. I replaced it, and it's been fine since. My wife was out riding the other day, and it quit. She said it moved for 2 seconds and then stopped. The solenoid clicks. Pack voltage is 37v.

Using the diagram from here: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...5&d=1336743911

I tested resistance in the forward and reverse positions. In forward I get -0.4 ish with a solid tone if I have the red lead at #5 and black at #3. When I put red at #3 and black at #5, the screen goes blank and no tone. I know the negative means there's a load on it, but I'm not sure why I get a tone with the leads in one position and not another since it's measuring continuity. Normal readings at 4 and 8 with either polarity.

When I put it in reverse, I get good measurements at #3 and #8, but I get the same issue with 4 and 5; -0.4 with leads in one polarity and a blank screen when reversed.

Position #5 seems to be the common site with the weird readings. It's a cheap multimeter, and I couldn't find any info saying what the blank screen means. Since there is no tone, I'm assuming it's a loss of continuity with a certain polarity.

Does it sound like a bad f/r switch, or should I keep looking? Thanks!

edit--I disconnected the battery pack, and I still get the negative reading; -0.45 at 3-5 and 4-5. Why would I get a negative reading with no voltage going through the system?
rbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2022, 09:59 AM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: please help me understand f/r switch ohm readings

I would like to help but I am completely confused about where to start. Resistance (Ohms) has no polarity. Select continuity on your multimeter and short the two test leads together. You should get a beep if the test leads are good (have continuity). Now place the leads across the switch terminals where you expect to have continuity per the instruction you posted. Anything less than a beep should indicate lack of continuity. If the circuit is open some ghost voltage readings may display on your meter.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

As radioman pointed out, there is no polarity with resistance ... it sounds more like a meter problem.

It might be as simple as you need to replace the battery in your multimeter. This has been noted on a number of BGW posts ... so you would not be the first person to get erroneous readings from a meter with a bad battery.

Failing that, perhaps borrow a meter and check the resistance readings again.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:57 PM   #4
rbridges
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I would like to help but I am completely confused about where to start. Resistance (Ohms) has no polarity. Select continuity on your multimeter and short the two test leads together. You should get a beep if the test leads are good (have continuity). Now place the leads across the switch terminals where you expect to have continuity per the instruction you posted. Anything less than a beep should indicate lack of continuity. If the circuit is open some ghost voltage readings may display on your meter.
It works fine and you described when I just touch the leads together. I did some googling, and they said you can get polarity in the case of capacitors and such, but I don't know why in this situation. It has me stumped. I get a tone with the leads in one setup along with a small negative number (-0.45). When I swap the probes, I get no tone and the screen blanks. I have a nicer fluke meter, but it's out of town right now. I may wait until I get my hands back on it to see what it says.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
rbridges
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
As radioman pointed out, there is no polarity with resistance ... it sounds more like a meter problem.

It might be as simple as you need to replace the battery in your multimeter. This has been noted on a number of BGW posts ... so you would not be the first person to get erroneous readings from a meter with a bad battery.

Failing that, perhaps borrow a meter and check the resistance readings again.
I just bought it yesterday and used the 9v battery that came with it. I'll try swapping it for a new one and see if it changes anything. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2022, 02:14 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbridges View Post
edit--I disconnected the battery pack, and I still get the negative reading; -0.45 at 3-5 and 4-5. Why would I get a negative reading with no voltage going through the system?
The controller has a dozen or more 1,000µF capacitors between its B- and B+ terminals, so there is a voltage source even when the battery pack is disconnected. The capacitors have a bleeder network, so the voltage bleeds off in about 5 or 10 minutes, or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curtis 1206.jpg (30.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:39 AM   #7
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I just bought it yesterday and used the 9v battery that came with it. I'll try swapping it for a new one and see if it changes anything. Thanks!
What your meter continuity test is trying to tell you is the switch contacts are not making. Regardless of voltage present in the area you should get a beep across the contact terminals if they are closed making contact just as you get when you short the meter leads together. I suspect the switch contacts are not making. May be due to improper alignment/adjustment, defective or damaged due to improper installation or some other unknown.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:14 PM   #8
rbridges
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
What your meter continuity test is trying to tell you is the switch contacts are not making. Regardless of voltage present in the area you should get a beep across the contact terminals if they are closed making contact just as you get when you short the meter leads together. I suspect the switch contacts are not making. May be due to improper alignment/adjustment, defective or damaged due to improper installation or some other unknown.
All that makes sense except I get a tone one way, and no tone when I switch the red/black probe.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:40 PM   #9
MacGyverr
Getting Wild

If your F/r switch is off alignment by just a small amount it will burn the contacts, causing resistance which your meter is showing you. As i posted just recently alignment is easily changed by not backing up the shaft when you install one.
MacGyverr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:44 PM   #10
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
All that makes sense except I get a tone one way, and no tone when I switch the red/black probe.
See post #6. The stray voltage is likely coming from the controller, and it is playing tricks on your meter readings. If the contacts were making you would get a continuity beep regardless of the how the red or black leads are connected because stray voltage would be bypassed by the closed contacts. You are getting false readings. Forget the readings and look for a beep. No beep = open contact.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO