lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
kraushouse4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1991 Club car backfiring and running rough

I have a 1991 Club Car with a KF82 motor that was running very slow and rough and had a rod knock, so I swapped the motor with one that I had taken out of my other cart that was running great when removed. The cart is still acting the same even after the swap. I am wondering if it could be the rpm limiter and if so how do I disconnect the ground wire for it? Could it be something with the fuel pump? What else can I check? I switched the carb and generator when I swapped the engines as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I drop this cart off the nearest bridge!
kraushouse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 1991 Club car backfiring and running rough

As far as I know the rpm limiter is part of the coil. Did you use the same coil or a different one from the replacement motor?

Also, I'd make sure that your fuel pump pulse line is clear. It's the hose that hooks up to the bottom port on the fuel pump. Take it out and blow some air through it or something. If you're not getting a good vacuum from the motor due to oil or debris in that line, that could cause your fuel pump to underperform.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
kraushouse4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I used a different coil, have cleaned the carb, cleaned the fuel pump and changed all the fuel lines as well. When it runs it just keeps bogging down and the rpms go up and down. Have adjusted the governor in and out and left it off and it still runs the same. I don't know what else to check but would really like to get it running for Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Well if you've used two different coils, and cleaned/changed all the fuel lines (included the pulse line I mentioned earlier) than it sounds to me like it could be something inside the carb (unless you also have two carbs and the motor has the same issues with either one). Lots of intricate, moving parts in there. If you're out of ideas than I'd think about replacing it.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
kraushouse4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok so I have deduced that no or very little fuel is coming out of the fuel pump. My filter is almost dry. I checked the pulse line and even replaced it. Any suggestions?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Bad fuel pump maybe.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
kraushouse4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am gonna try replacing the fuel pump and see if that makes any difference. I don't know what else to try?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Check that the fuel pump vent screen (the little circle on the face of the fuel pump) is clear of dirt and debris,
Brush off the dirt and debris with an old toothbrush, then lightly spray it with spray carb cleaner.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can pull the gas line off where it attaches to the carb and try starting it, you should have a nice steady flow of gas shooting out. If not, prolly a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump.
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car