lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hey guys another Newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose308 View Post
Do you have to upgrade to a 48v to upgrade the controller? I was under the impression that 36v was the way to go. I guess that shows what I know. So if I would like to upgrade the controller to a 400a it would need to be upgraded to 48v? I also read somewhere that you could change the wiring for like hilly course? I have to say it sucks having to learn all about this thing. Because me and wiring don't get along.
NO you don't.....and better yet, most or at least all the good aftermarket controllers will except either 36v OR 48v. so if you want or need to, you can go 36v now and when you upgrade to 48v later your aftermarket controller will still work.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #12
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

hi moose308! welcome! i to am new at the golf cart thing also and i am NOT a wiring compent type of guy(doesnt work well in my head)-BUT, these guys know ALOT and will steer you right...i strongly suggest that if you know what you want from your cart and can voice that-they will tell you the best solution and you will be very happy with the end result... i am extatic about how my ezgo is working now and even though it was a complete pain to go through the effort and time to figure out what was wrong-i did it with the help of these gentlemen who are presently helping you...do what they suggest and you will come through this with a smile of your own-good luck! mutant

p.s. overkill is a good idea-take a big`ole bite and start chompin...nothin worse than a wimpy attempt at a tough situation....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose308 View Post
Do you have to upgrade to a 48v to upgrade the controller? I was under the impression that 36v was the way to go. I guess that shows what I know. So if I would like to upgrade the controller to a 400a it would need to be upgraded to 48v? I also read somewhere that you could change the wiring for like hilly course? I have to say it sucks having to learn all about this thing. Because me and wiring don't get along.
As mentioned, you don't have to go to a higher pack voltage, but you will get more Torque and Speed if you do.

No matter what the battery pack voltage is, it takes the same amount of electrical energy to move a cart from Point-A to Point-B. The unit of measurement for electrical energy is Watt-Hours, which is Amp-Hours multiplied by Volts. So if it takes 1000WH to move the cart from A to B, it will take about 28AH at 36V or about 21AH at 48V, or about 25% fewer Amp-hours. That, in turn, means the high current cables and other current carrying components in a 36V cart need to 25% larger to do the same job.

On my 2008 PDS the five OEM cables from the battery pack to the controller and motor were 4Ga, which was adequate, but the five OEM cable connecting the six 6V batteries in series appeared to be smaller, perhaps 6Ga, which was marginal for the stock controller and stock height (18") tires. I replaced all 10 high current cables with 2Ga, but I'm an efficiency nut. (4Ga is okay up to 500A)

Torque is what makes carts go and your 23" tires are 30% taller than stock, so (mathematically) they increase your speed by 28% and reduce your torque by about 22%. Going to a 400A controller will up the torque by about 33% and the speed will stay the same.

Going to 48V in addition to going to a 400A controller will increase both torque and speed by about 33%.

A DCX400 (or larger) controller works from 36V to 48V and 48V Super-Duty solenoids (400a/1000A) solenoids work from 36V to 48V, but battery chargers are voltage specific.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
NewtoBuggies
Gone Wild

Club Car

Welcome aboard Moose308. You came to the right place. These folks know what they're talking about and will give you good accurate advise. Good luck.
NewtoBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:11 AM   #15
Moose308
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

WOW JohnnieB I have to say that went right over my head but I think I know what your saying. I'm not really worried about the top speed thing as much as the low end torque. As I have a 6 year old thats gonna want to drive it around i'm sure. The low end torque will definately help at the hunting property. I'm not one that will be putting all the fanciest stuff on it but I really do want it user friendly for stuff around the house and in the woods. So for now I'm gonna leave it 36v and after getting batteries I'm gonna have to wait a little while to upgrade the the controller. I will take some suggestions on that one. I have looked at a lot of them and not sure which one to go with. Thanks for all the PRICELESS info so far.
Moose308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO