lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
wakeworld
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Rear End Click & Voltage Drain

I have a 1997 DCS cart. Tires are slightly oversized and I had an Alltrax 400 amp controller, upgraded wires and solenoid on this when the problems started. I've since switched it to the stock controller and the problems continue unchanged.

I had purchased a new set of batteries and the cart worked great for about a year. Then the batteries started draining too quickly and eventually I couldn't only go about a block before they were drained after a full charge. I put in a new set of batteries and they also started draining much too quickly right off the bat.

At the same time, there has been a clicking sound in the motor/rear end area. It's not a clunk and it's not consistent, but you will hear it every few seconds. I don't know if this is related to the battery drain, but I get the feeling it is.

I had a mechanic look at it and he tried switching out the motor with two others he had and neither one would engage with the rear end (it would just spin) even though the splines looked ok. His theory was that my gears may have worn out together and that's why another motor won't work. He thought that maybe the clicking noise was the gears slipping, but wasn't sure. His only theory for the battery drain was that something in the motor was causing it.

He didn't really instill much confidence, so I didn't want to run out and buy a new motor and input shaft. Any theories?
wakeworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Default Re: EZGO Rear End Click & Voltage Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
I had a mechanic look at it and he tried switching out the motor with two others he had and neither one would engage with the rear end (it would just spin) even though the splines looked ok. His theory was that my gears may have worn out together and that's why another motor won't work. He thought that maybe the clicking noise was the gears slipping, but wasn't sure. His only theory for the battery drain was that something in the motor was causing it.
Stripped rear hub maybe?
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
wakeworld
Not Yet Wild

But the original motor still works when you put it back in. It just makes a clicking sound and the batteries die quickly.
wakeworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you might have two problems: Clicking sound and run-time.

Does cart move or is it immobile?
Is cart relatively easy to push by hand?
Where does the sound come from? Motor, differential, rear axles?

What is pack voltage about 12 hours after charger shuts off?
What is pack voltage about 30 minutes after the cart has been drive a couple miles?

How often do you charge the batteries?
What make/model charger do you use?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
But the original motor still works when you put it back in. It just makes a clicking sound and the batteries die quickly.
Did you check the brushes for wear? The motor is about 17 years old, so it is due a thorough cleaning inside and new set of brushes.

Check the continuity with an Ohmmeter.
Should have low Ohms between A1 & A2 and between F1 & F2 (Might be labeled S1 & S2 on a DCS motor)
There should be infinite, or at least very high Ohms, between the A terminals and the F terminals and the should be infinite Ohms between the terminals and the motor case.

Carbon dust from the brushes eventually coats the inside of the motor and provides parallel paths for current flow, pulling the rug out from under the motor's efficiency and will shorten run-time.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO