lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
bobmakita
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool powerwise 28115 g05 charger question

Hello, I have a older power wise charger with indicator lights on the left side. Amp meter on the right. We use the charger where I work at a apartment complex and usually plug it in as we leave but today I did so during the day.

on charge
2 hour
4 hour
6 hour
8 hour

When charging the top light is green but at times the 2 and 4 hour lights come on as yellow or amber. I will unplug from the cart and it will reset to the top being green only. I had 42 volts across all the batteries. It went from 16 amps on the meter to 8 before I left but I unplugged it not wanting to leave it on overnight as a precaution.
Can anyone please tell me what that means it changing to the amber color and is it safe to leave on? Will it turn off on its own or are the amber lights a fault code?
Thanks in advance- Bobby
bobmakita is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: powerwise 28115 g05 charger question

Welcome to BGW!

The green LED indicates the charger is in the charge cycle and the 4 yellow LEDs merely indicate the amount of time the charger has been plugged into the cart and AC power in 2 hour steps from 2 hours through 8 hours. The yellow LEDs begin flashing when the charger has been plugged in for 24 hours.

The five LEDs have absolutely nothing to do with charging the batteries, initiating the charge cycle or terminating it, however the green LED isn't quite as useless as the yellow ones are. It is only illuminated during the charge cycle, so you can tell from across the room if the charger is still charging instead of getting close enough to hear if the transformer is humming or not.

The charger shuts off automatically when the pack voltage climbs into the 44V to 46V range, so at 42V the battery pack was less than the 90% charged point, however percent of charge does not correlate to time on charge. How long it takes to charge a battery depends on how much it was discharged, the battery's storage capacity, age, ambient temperature and other factors.

Plugging charger into cart before leaving each night and unplugging the next morning is a good practice.

If the charger is still charging the batteries the next morning (Green LED on - Transformer humming), you need to do some troubleshooting to find out why. Attached is the manual for PW and a PW+ chargers.

If the cart routinely gets sluggish towards the end of the day, plug in the charge during your lunch hour and/or other periods of non-use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
bobmakita
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: powerwise 28115 g05 charger question

Just got home from a side job and I really appreciate your time, knowledge, and for sharing. I`m printing the manual and your reply and will pass both on to corporate. They were out today and I told them about this forum. I will post another question in a new thread about equalization charges, something we were talking about.
Thanks again
bobmakita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, powerwise charger
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO