lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Default Charging Question - RXV

I Bought my RXV in early January as a hunting cart. It has been running great. I've traveled close to 20 miles with gear and people and the ScottyB meter showing greater than 50% capacity at the end of the day. Hunting season eneded Feb 10th and the cart has been used in the yard and neighborhood a little. Less than 1 mile, maybe 1-2 times a week. I have been charging as soon as we are done playing. Yesterday we kicked off youth turkey and the cart went maybe 7-8 miles on what I thought was a full charge before petering out on me.

Here's something I've recognized. Back during hunting season when I would plug it in to charge the ScottyB's meter would read anywhere from 56-59.x. Once done it would settle around 50.8-51 which would indicate a 100% range. Since I've had it home the last few weeks and not running it as much, during the charging cycle the meter would maybe read 50.8-52.x. It has been settling in the 50.3-50.6 range. I've kind of blown it off as I haven't completely learned what is normal for this cart yet.

When stopped yesterday because the cart was starting to struggle the meter was dipping to 36.x volts under load and the meter was settling at 46.x within a few mins of stopping. By the time I made the 3+ mile walk back to camp and got the truck and trailer the meter was back over 48 and when we got back to the house a few hours later it had settled at 48.4. I plugged it in immediately after getting back to the house and when I checked the charger a bit later it was reading 58.x on the scottyb meter. This morning after a full charge the meter is bouncing between 50.8/50.9 which is back to what it was originally doing during hunting season.

The charger is the standard ezgo charger with the green indicator light. The cart has 3 2013 US batts and 1 2013 Trojan.

Thoughts on what is going on? Bad battery? Bad charger? Why is it not charging completely when the cart hasn't been run down significantly?

Also, I might add that I checked for heat yesterday once we stopped and there was a little heat (very mild) in the controller area but everything else was cool to the touch.
grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: Charging Question - RXV

Slightly warm controller area-- NORMAL

What you are describing is battery failure.

If cart has "gas " gauge, It would probably start at full then quickly drop to 3/4 .

Most likely the trojan has failed.

Previous owner probably replaced trojans with US batts for a reason.

run cart a short distance or until "gas " gauge drops.

Then check each battery voltage.

The one that is at 10 to 11 volts is bad.( I bet 1 beer is Trojan )

Double or nothing bad battery is in #4 position(back)

Last edited by HiTechRedNeck; 03-08-2015 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Give address to mail beer.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

10-4. Will put a meter on it today. The trojan is located in the center position when looking under the seat.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm curious why you think the Trojan right off the bat?

" Last edited by HiTechRedNeck; Today at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Give address to mail beer. "

I've always thought there should be a service in which I could by you a drink at your favorite watering hole. Kind of like FTD but with bars and booze (bud in Co.) instead of flowers! Wire you a beer!
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #5
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Center of the front 3?

When we have bad batt, it is always in the center back.

Lots of problems with Trojan 12v batts (google Ez-Go vs Trojan)
Old 03-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Even without watering system, "murphys law" says it will Always be the back battery.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Water is good in all the batts. If I had to say, the trojan is the one with least amount of water. The plates are all cover though.

Yes, center front.

Got my dads meter. Havent had time to take it for a spin yet.

Will a short drive work or do I need to run the batteries down a little?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

You may not even need to drive it.

Look for one batt about 1v lower than others.

Hydrometer will also find bad batt.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Just checked them. All read 12.6 or better. ScottyB meter is at 50.9. Will make a neighborhood outing tomorrow and remeasure.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Took the cart for a spin last night. Only strolled around for 15 mins or so and its flat as a board where I live. Got it back in the garage and let it settle for a few mins. All batts were reading in the 12.58-12.6 range. Out of all the batts the trojan has been .01-.02 better than the others.

I'm starting to think this is a charging issue. Maybe the charger wasn't reading something correctly when it was kicking on and was under charging the batteries...????

I plugged it back in last night and it kicked up to 54+ on the scottyb meter withing a few seconds. It wasn't doing last week. It would maybe go to 51-52. I forgot to check the reading this AM. I'll look at it when I get home and see but I'm betting 50.9-51.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO