lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
Bowtiejc
Getting Wild

Default OBC bad?

Ok so i got my new charger and i reset the obc. I charged it up and this new charger will get down to 4 or 5 amps and still wont shut off. So i guess my OBC is bad. Batteries are only 2 months old. Thanks
Bowtiejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Default Re: OBC bad?

How long was the charger on?
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Test your pack voltage when it's showing 4-5 amps. It should be climbing up to 62+ volts, in equalization mode. You'll hear bubbling in the batteries. The charger can stay on for several hours, I believe up to 16 hours before it times out. It will shut off hopefully when your pack voltage reached around 62+ volts. Pack voltage will settle down to 51 +/- after several hours.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thought I had the same problem when I measured the voltage across my battery pack reading 65.3 volts with charger at 5 amps but after about two hours of equalizing the charger shut off

Monitor voltage and amperage for a few hours before giving up on OBC
Lakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
scubabud

Club Car

Found some notes when I just got my cart and it had new batteries:

Charging Times & Voltages around 41 Hr period after charge

Start charging 11:30 AM – Battery Pack Voltage was around 50 volts
At 4:30 PM, (5 hours later,) charging voltage was 63.8 volts
At 5:00 PM charger went off and pack voltage was 53.1 volts
At 8:30 PM pack voltage was 52.1 volts
At 10:00 PM pack voltage was 52.1 volts
At 11:00 PM pack voltage was 52.0 volts
At 3:00 AM pack voltage was 51.8 volts
At 8:00 AM pack voltage was 51.7 volts
At 10:00 AM pack voltage was 51.6 volts
At 12:00 PM pack voltage was 51.6 volts
At 1:00 PM pack voltage was at 51.6 volts
At 1:00 PM pack voltage was at 51.6 volts
At 4:00 PM pack voltage was at 51.6 volts
At 6:00 PM pack voltage was at 51.6 volts
At 9:00 PM pack voltage was at 51.5 volts
At 11:30 PM pack voltage was at 51.4 volts
At 7:00 AM pack voltage was at 51.3 volts
At 10:00 AM pack voltage was at 51.1 volts
Old 03-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
Bowtiejc
Getting Wild

It sit on 4 amp about 2 hours. The batteries were boiling pretty loud so I unplugged it. I've done that 3 times. I don't want to damage my batteries.
Bowtiejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

As long as it is not on for more than 16 hours total, you are fine
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiejc View Post
It sit on 4 amp about 2 hours. The batteries were boiling pretty loud so I unplugged it. I've done that 3 times. I don't want to damage my batteries.
Test each of your batteries voltages and make sure they are all close to each other without the charger on. If one is way off that could be a problem. If they are close to each other let your charger Due what it is supposed to do. Test the pack voltage while its at the lower amperage state of charge, if it's under the 62+ range you should be fine. If you keep pulling your charger out your batteries will never equalize. I hope you have a good digital voltmeter... If not buy one.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #9
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Do yourself and your batteries a favor and get a DPI charger. There have been so many advances in battery charging technology since the price of solar has gone down. The OBC charger is old technology so old that I believe CC has abandoned it. There is no reason that the battery charging voltage should ever go over approx 58 volts (there may be rare exceptions). And the absorption cycle (once the charge current has decreased to 5 amps) should never last more than 2-3 hours. Plus there isn't really a need for an equalization cycle on a golf cart unless your batteries are ready for replacement.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't think is fair to call the OBC old technology, the "coulomb counting" used by the OBC, although I am sure mostly for SOC reasons, is the same method Your laptop uses to predict battery time remaining.

The OBC also defaults to Dv/Dt, which is the only method the DPI uses, when there is no data on how much energy was removed from the pack.

I also think the DPI is not a very efficient charger simply because that huge transformer needs to run all the time in order for it to provide a float mode.

I think the bottom line is either method charges the "pack", not individual batteries.

At rest voltage is not a very good indicator of battery health, I would rank the best indicators for individual battery health as:
  1. Voltage Under Load.
  2. Voltage an end of charging cycle.
  3. Voltage at rest.

The reason the pack may be staying at 5amps at the end of the cycle for a prolonged period of time is because one of the batteries is slowly coming up in voltage.

The other batteries have been there for a while and are gassing (not boiling).

You really should set your meter to 20vDC (for the precision) and measure each individual battery near the end of the charging cycle.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car