lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #21
rhinomike
Getting Wild

Default Re: RXV Grinding Noise

Question. I know what the brake looks like from pictures. But what's inside the brake and how does it work?

I have a 6 month warranty on my cart. But my dealer told me the brakes are a wear and tear item. Normally I agree but I'm not sure how these brakes work. Thank you.
rhinomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #22
rhinomike
Getting Wild

My dealer also told me the brakes only last 5 years. So I was due for new ones.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #23
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The rxv motor brake is not at all like typical brakes you would use on a car. It does nothing to slow the cart down during normal brake use, normal braking is done by using the motor as a generator to put energy back in the batteries. The RXV has no conventional brakes like other golf carts or automobiles. The only time the motor brake would ever "normally" activate while the vehicle is in motion is during a "panic stop" situation where the brake pedal is mashed to the floor (i dont suggest trying it to "see how it works", its really hard on the motor brake). Under normal operation, the motor slows the vehicle to a stop, then the motor brake locks to hold the vehicle still (using the motor itself to hold the vehicle still for extended periods wastes energy & creates heat). The motor brake has no "slow down" operation, it is either free spinning, or locked (when operating correctly). The motor brake is a "normally locked" type device, it requires electrical energy to unlock it and allow the cart to move. It has springs that apply pressure to a disk that couples with the motor shaft, preventing the disk from spinning when no electrical power is supplied to the brake. It also has a electromagnet that can overpower the springs to release the disk when electrical power is supplied.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #24
rhinomike
Getting Wild

Update. The new brake fixed the issue. No more grinding noise. So I'm actually glad the brakes gave out completely so I was able to solve the grinding noise mystery. Lol. Thank you to everyone for the help.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 AM   #25
cgtech

Yamaha

"brakes gave out completely"? Still dont understand how rxv brakes work? If not, please ask so you know how they work, especially if you intend to work with a rxv in the future (yours or someone elses cart).
Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #26
rhinomike
Getting Wild

The brakes locked up. The cart woldnt move.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #27
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

The brake is the "Parking/Emergency" brake.

The carts "brake " to slow or stop the cart during normal operation is the MOTOR.

"Parking/Emergency" brake only holds a stopped cart or locks wheel up in emergency/panic stop.

Locking wheels up can and does damage "Parking/Emergency" brake.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #28
Descart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

A note for anyone who (like me) switches from and old (worn brakes) TXT to an RXV. A normal stop in the TXT requires what I call "normal brake pedal pressure" for the mechanical brakes. Not the RXV.

The RXV brake, as noted above, is not mechanical. Pressure on the pedal does not = mechanical pressure on the brake assembly. I instantly found that switching to the RXV requires a much lighter touch on the brake pedal. Using the typical "stomp it 'til it stops" on an RXV can lead directly to the problems described above.
Descart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #29
cgtech

Yamaha

You got it!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #30
ryanf77
Not Yet Wild

So... Back to this old thread!!!

I'm understanding that the Motor Brake (Mounted to the end of the Motor) is an "On/Off" brake only (Meaning that at a certain Brake Pedal Pressure a switch is flipped and the brake is applied full force)... And the Motor automatically stops the Cart when the Accelerator is released... With that said, what happens when I "Lightly" apply the Brake Pedal? Does the Motor apply more stopping force itself without the use of the Motor Brake by putting More Energy back into the Batteries???
ryanf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO