lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default wheel/tire suggestions please, 97 36v dcs, no lift

Hello been stewing about tires for some time now. currently have 97 stock dcs with 400 a alltrax and original 8"tires wheels (with 8" hubcaps). Will NOT be adding lift, my options:
keeping 8" wheel and caps and adding interesting (larger) tires other than stock.
buying 10" alloy wheels with 3x4 offset
buying 12' wheels with offset. The offset on both is not mandatory but I thought the wider stance would help with stability. Primary use asphalt and gravel roads, grass fields.
steel with caps or alloys doesn't really matter whole lot. would like to keep around $450 max. (less would be better, even with steel!)
Any picture you could reply with your set up would be a great help!
lugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: sorry wrong forum, wheel/tire suggestions please, 97 36v dcs, no lift

You should be able to pick up a set of alloys with all the goodies in a 205/50 x 10 tire for less than $400. My local store has them so I know they are out there. Problem is picking which design
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: tire/wheel combo suggestions please, 97 txt dcs, Non Lifted

I take it you are replacing the tires because the originals are worn out more than anything else.

My cart came from a golf course in Arizona and the tires had sidewall weathering as well as slow leaks, so they were one of the first things I replaced.

The surfaces I drive on is about the same as yours and I'm very satisfied with my Carlisle Turf-Master tires. http://www.carlisletransportationpro...rden-golf/Ti15

I ordered them through a local tire shop, who mounted them on my stock rims. Total price out the door was $256.16.

Without lifting, you can go up to about 20" in height and they come in a fairly wide variety of heights, widths and rim sizes.

If you go with a wider width, you may need to get offset rims or use spacers.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks Johnnie!, What size did you go with and did you wish you would have gotten different size? Looks like they are built to last a long time.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the wheels on my cart are 12 inch on a stock suspension. The tires are 215/40/12 for a total tire height of 18 1/4. Works fine no need for any spacers and it is very similar to stock right height.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: sorry wrong forum, wheel/tire suggestions please, 97 36v dcs, no lift

definitely best looking and most expensive option. I guess I was wondering how big a tire I could go on the original 8" rims and whether or not it would look OK since I have the 8" hub caps. JohnnieB stated he put carlisle turf masters on I believe 8"rims, kind of a mix use tread. Just wondering if I can go to a bigger 8" tire.
Thanks for any info!!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: wheel/tire suggestions please, 97 36v dcs, no lift

I use the 20" Kendra scorpion on my non lifted carts found at site sponsor here > http://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/Kenda...-tfhoCKpXw_wcB
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugster View Post
thanks Johnnie!, What size did you go with and did you wish you would have gotten different size? Looks like they are built to last a long time.
I went with stock size (18 X 8.50 - 8 ), which according to chart on the Carlisle webpage I linked to, were supposed to be 18.3" tall when mounted, but turned out to be only 17" in diameter when I measured their rolling circumference with me on the cart.

That reduces the top speed by about 5%, but applies about 6% more torque where the rubber meets the road, which in turn allows me to drive around my property at slower speeds and tow/carry heavier loads with less motor heating. On the other hand, since my motor is lightly loaded mechanically, my top speed is limited by the max recommended motor RPM rather than the amount of high-end torque the motor generates. The max recommended RPM is 6.5k (26.5MPH) and I can get over 7.0k (28.6MPH) with a 42V battery pack, but I seldom go over 25MPH, so it works out okay for me. (For the time being. )

If Alltrax ever gets their act together and releases the PDS version of the XCT controller (which has user selectable RPM limiting), I'll probably install one and then go to 48V (6 X 8V) when my 42V pack needs replacing. I no longer need the 30+ mile range my 7 X 6V - 245AH battery pack provides and carrying less weight along with an across the board 17% increase in torque, my cart will barely slow at all on the steeper hills it slows a little on now.

------------
When attempting to climb very steep grass covered hills, my tires run out of traction before the motor runs out of torque, so a wider tread would help, but there really aren't many hills that I want to climb that my cart cannot climb, and there aren't any hills I have to climb that it can't climb.

Also, you have to have 10" or larger rims to install disk brakes.

In retrospect, knowing what I know now, I might have gone with a 18 X 9.50 - 8 Turf Master, but it is a coin toss.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugster View Post
definitely best looking and most expensive option. I guess I was wondering how big a tire I could go on the original 8" rims and whether or not it would look OK since I have the 8" hub caps. JohnnieB stated he put carlisle turf masters on I believe 8"rims, kind of a mix use tread. Just wondering if I can go to a bigger 8" tire.
Thanks for any info!!
Not necessarily the most expensive. Mine are just powder coated aluminum wheels. I bought them through an Ebay auction for less than $300. More than 4 tires, yes. But better than many other combos. Some diligent shopping can net you some great bargains.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: wheel/tire suggestions please, 97 36v dcs, no lift

Great Info All! and thanks for moving my misdirected forum. I like the jasons carts offerings, many choices in the 3:4 offset which I may enjoy. They seem to have several painted or powder coated steel wheel options with center caps and chrome lug nuts in both 10" and 8". So many options
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO