lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
JakeJohnson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Building my first Cart... Need advice!

I've been looking at a few motors online and i came across one that is 12hp at 1300 rpm. Do you think this limit my speed too much? I don't forsee myself pulling a truck around or anything but I want to be able to haul 4 people on it no problem and not sacrifice too much speed... I know I'm asking a lot of questions but don't wanna make a mistake and purchase the wrong stuff.
JakeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If that it is peak HP, that is a mighty slow, but mighty high torque motor.

Here is a motor selection guide that may help a bit: http://ddmotorsystems.com/ChooseAMotorPage.php
Plug in the particulars about your cart and you'll get a better idea of what is needed.

Or contact scottyb at Carts Unlimited and talk to him about what motor is needed for your setup.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
JakeJohnson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've seen some of his stuff. Seems like really good packages! Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-20-2015, 11:55 PM   #14
JakeJohnson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I hopped on another cart this evening that I could possibly trade for. It's a 2006 ezgo non pds. Pros: it already has the following upgrades... Flip back seat with footrest, 4-6 inch lift, large tires and wheels, light kit, new floor mat... Problem is, when I went to go up a pretty steep hill it barely creeped. I'm assuming I would have to buy a new controller (and possibly motor) to give it the "umph" to make it up the hill easily. Good thing is that is about the only other thing I would have to buy besides replacing the batteries. They are about to need to be changed. I figure that would come out cheaper. But I want to make sure that the controller is going to fix that hill climbing problem. Any suggestions?!
Old 07-21-2015, 12:32 AM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If it is a stock controller, just about any aftermarket controller would be better (not saying you should choose "any controller" that you see, the stock one was bare essentials for golf use). Need to match the whole system for your desires, from batteries, cables, controller, F&R, & motor. If your needs are not extreme, some stock designed parts may be ok (36v may meet your needs, stock motor may be ok). But, plan on a better controller, better cables, HD f&r, HD solenoid, these are pretty much "minimum required upgrades" for any lifted/big tire cart.

Last edited by cgtech; 07-21-2015 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Forget the F&R part, its a PDS...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Adding a better controller, better cables can do pretty good if you dont climb mountains.... A controller upgrade will increase your torque, top speed, AND motor temps substantially. Sorry about the screw-up. Reading texts & posting here at the same time sometimes ends with "foot-in-mouth-syndrome". All the stock PDS motors are capable of 20+ mph with stock size tires and upgraded controller (bigger tires = higher top speed with lost torque as the trade-off).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

@ CG: He owns a 2001 PDS and is thinking about getting a 2006 "Non-PDS", so your comments about upgrading the F/R switch do apply.

@ Jake: Since the 2006 your are looking at has a series drive system, already has tall tires and needs batteries, consider going to a 48V battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
JakeJohnson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I would really like to do that but I can't afford the charger for that right now! lol... I was looking for the most affordable/stuff still works well option so that's why I was figuring the 2006 would save a little money since I don't have to buy the other "cosmetic" upgrades. Only the important stuff lol

Tags
controller, golf cart, lift kit, pds, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO