lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #1
prepper2015
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ-Go Drive Train Issues

I am new here and need some help. I have a 2008 EZ-GO Electric TXT. I am having drive train issues. I have read several of the forms here and decided to try my luck. The motor is turning and I feel vibration at the hub on the drivers side. When jacked up the hub will turn but I can stop it with my hand. I think it may be a problem with the drive shaft or the differential gears. Any help from anyone on diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated.
prepper2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-Go Drive Train Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepper2015 View Post
I am new here and need some help. I have a 2008 EZ-GO Electric TXT. I am having drive train issues. I have read several of the forms here and decided to try my luck. The motor is turning and I feel vibration at the hub on the drivers side. When jacked up the hub will turn but I can stop it with my hand. I think it may be a problem with the drive shaft or the differential gears. Any help from anyone on diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Prepper......you came to the right place.....and the answer is easy....and actually an easy fix. You have a striped hub. it's actually a fairly common problem. the hub is softer than the shaft, so it goes and doesn't damage the shaft. the link below is the best place to get your replacement, actually its a HD replacement which you won't have to worry about in the future. a lot of people go ahead and replace both sides. but that's all up to you.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Ezgo_Pinch_Hubs.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
prepper2015
Not Yet Wild

Sir Nuke... What can you tell me to look at to be sure that this is the solution? Is there some sign that this is the issue that I can identify before I buy the hub? Just want to make sure I have explained the issue correctly. Don't know if there is any way to send a picture to you of what I should be looking at.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

You can jack the cart up, take that wheel off, if you have a center cap then remove it from the wheel. Put the wheel back on and lower the cart back on the ground. Then have someone step on the accelerator pedal while you watch for the axle nut to turn with the wheel not moving. Or, if you can hear the noise on tat side and it doesn't move, just order the Ausco hub and get it fixed. I just fixed one a couple of weeks ago. I replaced both hubs.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Attached is an exploded parts drawing.

Remove the hubcaps if you have any so you can see the castle nut (Item-106 on the drawing) that holds the brake hub on the axle.

You can put tires on ground as mentioned above, or you can apply the brakes while tire is off the ground. It the castle nut turns and the wheel doesn't the splines in hub are stripped.

The splines on the axle can also be stripped, but as Sir Nuke mentioned, the axle is harder than the drum, so the drum is usually all that strips.

BTW: If you have both tires off the ground, you can stop one of them with your hand. It is an open differential rather than a limited slip type, so the power goes to the wheel with the least resistance.

Also, the way to install the castle nut on the rear axles is to tighten it to 90 ft/lb and then continue to tighten it until the hole for the cotter pin lines up. (140 ft/lb max).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake parts.jpg (102.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepper2015 View Post
Sir Nuke... What can you tell me to look at to be sure that this is the solution? Is there some sign that this is the issue that I can identify before I buy the hub? Just want to make sure I have explained the issue correctly. Don't know if there is any way to send a picture to you of what I should be looking at.
prepper, johnnie has you hooked up......look at the drawing and let us know if you understand.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
prepper2015
Not Yet Wild

Nuke and johnnie.... I did what you are suggesting before I asked any questions here. The hub on the drivers side is fine and the castle nut does not turn when I put resistance on the hub but both hub and axle turn with no resistance on the wheels. My next questions and I only ask it because I have not looked at the passenger side yet, could it be just the passenger side hub is stripped and this could cause all the problems? I will take the wheel off and look but thought I would ask.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
prepper2015
Not Yet Wild

BTW.... Thanks guys for helping.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:40 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

So its fixed.. Thats awesome!! What did you find (to help others)?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
prepper2015
Not Yet Wild

johnnie.... I did what you are suggesting before I asked any questions here. The hub on the drivers side is fine and the castle nut does not turn when I put resistance on the hub but both hub and axle turn with no resistance on the wheels. My next questions and I only ask it because I have not looked at the passenger side yet, could it be just the passenger side hub is stripped and this could cause all the problems? I will take the wheel off and look but thought I would ask.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO