lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
alwaddell1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid Clicks 3 Times CArt Won't Go

I am still at a loss here. I went through the flowchart test again and I always get top step 13 voltage between F1 and F2 Controller. I get 0 .
1.Should I remove the black and white cables to do this test.
2.When you are checking the voltage between controller and motor do you leave the cables connected (steps 14 and 15).

If I am doing it correctly it always leads to replace motor but I have tested it twice now it runs perfect.

I am getting a new ITS and will replace today. If that does not solve what should I test or do next. I just want to make sure I need a new controller before I buy one.

Thanks for the help.
alwaddell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The flowchart leaves out a very significant tidbit of information.
With the battery charger disconnected from cart, the Run/Tow switch in RUN, Keyswitch in ON, F/R switch in F and the Pedal fully depressed, the solenoid should be energized (contact closed). If the solenoid's contacts are not closed, and staying closed, you won't measure any voltage between the F1 and F2 terminals on the controller.

Checking for proper operation of solenoid ought to come before checking for voltage between F1 and F2.

Go to step 16 and check the solenoid operation. Once you get it to energize when it is supposed to and then stay energized like it is supposed to, then check voltage at F1/F2.

To get the solenoid to click (energize), every wire highlighted in red on attached schematic has to have battery pack voltage on it.

------------
Replacing the ITS sensor won't fix the solenoid issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
alwaddell1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I know this is probably stupid but on step 36 ( Voltage Between Batter B- and Pin5 terminal ) do I probe the back of the plug for the red wire or am I probing the connection on the controller with the plug out.

Also, if I am checking all the red highlighted wires is that in Run Position, Forward selected and pedal pressed?
Old 10-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaddell1 View Post
1. I know this is probably stupid but on step 36 ( Voltage Between Batter B- and Pin5 terminal ) do I probe the back of the plug for the red wire or am I probing the connection on the controller with the plug out.

2. Also, if I am checking all the red highlighted wires is that in Run Position, Forward selected and pedal pressed?
1. All plugs are plugged in. The backsides of the MOLEX plugs are open, so the test probe can be pushed into them to read the voltage on the wire/pin.

2. Yes.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #15
alwaddell1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok - thanks. I am going to test all this out tonight and tomorrow. I'll post what I find and thanks for helping.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The place to start is J1 Pins 4 & 5.

Pin-5 should have full pack voltage on it 100% of the time.
Pin-4 should have full pack voltage on it all of the time except when the charger is plugged into the cart. (Unless the reed switch in the charge receptacle has be bypassed)

The voltage on one of those two pins, powers the electronic inside the controller and the other provides power to all the external controls (switches). I'm not sure which is which, but the best I can tell is that Pin-5 provides logic power (controller's electronics) and Pin-4 provides auxiliary power (switches).

Unless those two pins have full pack voltage on them, nothing else works right.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:18 PM   #17
alwaddell1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So far:
J1 Pins 1,3,4,5,7.8.9 all 38.1
J3 All pins 38.1
J4 1 and 2 38.1
3 .9 and goes to 1.3 with pedal pushed.
4 14.1
Solenoid 38.1

I got all the way to step 46 on flowchart and pin 10 only gets 37.1 .
Old 10-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The +37.1V on J1 Pin-10 is feeding through from the beeper. Pack voltage is applied to the other side of it 100% of the time and the controller applies B- to Pin-10 when it wants to sound the beeper.

A somewhat similar situation exists for J1 Pin-6. When all the switches except the pedal switch (J4 Pins 1 & 2) are closed, Pack voltage is applied to one side of the solenoid coil via J1 Pin-7 (Yellow wire) and the feed through is felt on J1 Pin-6 (Blue wire). Then when the pedal is pushed closing the pedal switch, the controller applies B- to J1 Pin-6 and the solenoid is energized.

All of the voltages listed appear to be in the ballpark except J4 Pin-3 is low, but that is the ITS (Throttle), which is not part of the solenoid activation circuit. (Cart might not reach full speed, but it would run.)

The controller is probably bad, but it might be a bad solenoid as CTD mentioned. Monitor the voltage on J1 Pin-6. You should have pack voltage (or a bit less) before the pedal is pushed and Zero volts after the pedal is pushed. If it stays at Zero and the solenoid de-energizes, the solenoid is bad. If it returns to pack voltage while the pedal is pushed, the controller is bad.

-------
If the controller is bad, now would be a good time to upgrade it if you so desire. An Alltrax XCT48200PDS controller will jicj the top speed up to about 24 MPH on stock height (18") tires and a 36V battery pack.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #19
alwaddell1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok I'll check I that when I get home. If it is a controller are the packages that Scotty offers the best way to go.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaddell1 View Post
Ok I'll check I that when I get home. If it is a controller are the packages that Scotty offers the best way to go.
Yes. The solenoid needs to be upgraded when the controller is upgraded.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO