lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
uteswags
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default alltrax 400 controller problems

HI Guys I have bought a Alltrax DCX 400 controller for my EZ GO golf buggy it is a 36 volt PSD type cart. I have fitted your controller and fitted all the connections but one. I think that it is the speed controller for the old Curtis controller(it has three pins in it). What do I do with these wires? Also when I turn the power on I get 4 green flashing lights then 6 red which I no is low power. But my batteries are fully charged (38.4). When I press the go peddle the solenoid clicks but nothing else happens.

Can you give me any help.

Thanks
Ricky
uteswags is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: alltrax 400 controller problems

Connect your voltmeter's negative test lead to the controller's B- terminal and measure the voltage on Pin-9 and on Pin-10 on top of the controller. You'll have to raise the plug slightly to assess the pins.

They both should read full battery pack voltage (38.4V as you mentioned)

If they do have full pack voltage on both of them, connect a computer to the DCX controller and check where the Under Voltage slider is set. (Should be about 27V for a 36V battery pack)

--------
The 3-pin plug goes to the speed sensor on the motor and the DCX does not use it. Tie it up out of the way or disconnect it at the motor, but keep it, you'll need it if you ever upgrade to a XCT controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by uteswags View Post
HI Guys I have bought a Alltrax DCX 400 controller for my EZ GO golf buggy it is a 36 volt PSD type cart. I have fitted your controller and fitted all the connections but one. I think that it is the speed controller for the old Curtis controller(it has three pins in it). What do I do with these wires? Also when I turn the power on I get 4 green flashing lights then 6 red which I no is low power. But my batteries are fully charged (38.4). When I press the go peddle the solenoid clicks but nothing else happens.

Can you give me any help.

Thanks
Ricky
Three pins? You sure it's a PDS?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Bottom left plug. J5, has 3-pins and goes to speed sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0141-1200x900.jpg (721.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
uteswags
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie B I will give that a go and while I am in town I will get the cable to connect the computer. Thanks for your help.

Ricky
Old 10-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
uteswags
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok JohnnieB
plugged computer in and and under voltage is set to 27. Now I metered the batteries 38.4 and pin 9 is 38.4 but pin 10 is 11.7 what do I do now. Thanks in advance
Old 10-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
uteswags
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

HI Johnnie B well I fixed the problem stupid mistake on my part one of the leads fell down behind battery pack when I disconnected the positive when changing out controller. I get a max speed of 21 mph on 14 inch rims on road tyres. not bad thought I would get a bit more but that will do until I fit the disc brakes.Thanks for your help.

Ricky
Old 10-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by uteswags View Post
1. HI Johnnie B well I fixed the problem stupid mistake on my part one of the leads fell down behind battery pack when I disconnected the positive when changing out controller.

2. I get a max speed of 21 mph on 14 inch rims on road tyres. not bad thought I would get a bit more but that will do until I fit the disc brakes.Thanks for your help.

Ricky
1. Not having all the leads connected will do it every time.
I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the times I've done things like that.

2. Rim size doesn't matter, it is overall tire height that counts. How tall are your tires?

Sounds a bit slow, I got 24 MPH at 36V with tires only 17" tall when I installed a DCX400PDS.

Are any of the high current cable getting hot? My first upgrade was replacing the OEM cables on a '08-PDS in 2011, with 2Ga cables with silver soldered lugs. I also was using a 400A solenoid (which I'm now using at 42V)

Also, kick the tire's inflation pressure up to the max listed on the sidewall.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #9
uteswags
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

HI Johnnie B My tyre hight is 20.5 inches and the solenoid is a heavy duty 400 amp (1000A surge that can be used with the 500 and 600 AMP controllers. I will upgrade to the 2GA cables and see if that helps.

Cheers
Ricky
Old 10-27-2015, 02:05 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With 20.5" tires, you should be getting upwards of 27 MPH.

At 21 MPH the motor is only spinning at about 4300 RPM and with a controller that doesn't have any RPM limiting, a stock PDS motor will spin at about 5500 RPM with 36V applied, which is about 24 MPH on 18" tire and about 27 MPH on 20.5" tires.

What Field map are you running in the DCX controller? (Should be Field Map#4 for a stock PDS motor)

Good cables may help.
Also check for excessive drag. (Wheel bearings and stuff like that)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO