lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
codygjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Default Marathon 48v Motor

Hey guys, I've got a 94 Marathon that went to 48v 6 or 8 months ago. 2 more 6v Interstates, Altrax AXE4844, 48v HD solenoid from Scottyb, HD buss bars, 4g cables throughout.

All has been going well but a couple of months ago I noticed the motor would start getting hot. Voltage was good, I didn't feel like i was overworking the cart, but it would shutdown after some cruising around at the farm. Wasn't a thermal shutdown of the controller, all connections are tight and clean, voltage is near full and everything was cool except the motor, it was too hot to touch. After a few minutes, cart would run again. Every outing since, it would take less and less time to shutdown

Well tonight, got halfway down the block and it shutdown. Not even warm this time. I'm assuming the motor is pretty damaged from all the overheats. If that's the case, I'm not really surprised. I kind of expected it at some point. Frankly, I'm glad it happened a few hundred yards from the house and not 5 miles from my truck down a muddy trail.

What it seems to be coming down to, unless I'm missing something, is I think I've killed the stock 36v motor. I know most people can keep the stock series without any issues, "it's a real workhorse" right? It just seems I've gotten unlucky, no biggie.

What do you guys suggest for an replacement? Keep in mind, I'm not looking for much more than what I had, I run 20" tires (probably moving to 22" when I wear these out) and I only use the cart for an hour or two, once or twice a month. Not looking for some super motor for my 21 year old cart, totally willing to have it rewound or buy something lower end.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.
codygjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Marathon 48v Motor

you could get a 48v motor fairly cheep
Old 11-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
codygjohnson
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Marathon 48v Motor

Any advice on a particular motor or vendor? I've made a few mistakes on upgrades in the past, wishing I would've gone a different route and motors are definitely not my strong point. I sent an email to Plum Quick to see if they do their basic upgrade on these motors but looking for some more advice in the meantime.
codygjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO