lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
ted4420
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery charging

I have 2 EZGO flat bed carts and 4 Taylor-Dunn B2-48 carts that I would like to run more than 8 hours a day. Can I run a Generator like the Harbor Freight 900 peak/700 running watts while I am driving the cart?
ted4420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Battery charging

Your charger puts out around 20 amps while it's charging your batteries. and when your driving your cart it is wanting/putting out from the batteries 50 to 200 amps while driving. Now if you want to charge the cart while it is resting it will help for more miles. But now while you driving the cart 8 hours
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It'll work if your generator can handle the load of your charger. It will extend your range.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
It'll work if your generator can handle the load of your charger. It will extend your range.
He will get more than 8 hours of drive time with the generator? Never seen this happen before
Old 12-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
He will get more than 8 hours of drive time with the generator? Never seen this happen before
I did not guarantee 8 hours of drive time, i just said it will extend range. I have never tried it myself.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I did not guarantee 8 hours of drive time, i just said it will extend range. I have never tried it myself.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The questions that come to mind are:
1. What is voltage and AH of the battery packs?
2. How long are the carts "running" now?
3. How much of that is pedal time (IE: cart actually moving)?
4. How many Amps AC is drawn by the charger(s)? (Should be listed on the label)

-----------------
The generator you mentioned only puts out 7.5A Peak and 5.8A Continuous, so it is probably too small for most golf cart battery chargers.

Multiply the Volts AC by the Amps on the charger's label to get a rough idea about how many Watt generator you will need.

-----------------
If you don't discharge below 50% SoC, the run-time on a typical battery pack is about an hour with a 75A load. The average Amp draw of your carts is likely to be less than that, but could be more depending on terrain, weight being carried/towed and the efficiency of the cart.

If the cart averages 75A and the charger puts out and average of 15A, the run time will be increased by about 20%.
If the cart averages 60A and the charger puts out and average of 15A, the run time will be increased by about 25%.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You will have to defeat the safety interlock to drive while charging. You will also have to find room for a generator and the charger. IMO it's not that good an idea. Get a gas cart if you want unlimited range.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4420 View Post
I have 2 EZGO flat bed carts and 4 Taylor-Dunn B2-48 carts that I would like to run more than 8 hours a day. Can I run a Generator like the Harbor Freight 900 peak/700 running watts while I am driving the cart?
Have you researched the solar roof panel that recharges the batteries while you are in the sun? Not sure you will get 8 hrs. but could get extended operation.
Lakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The solar panel if you get a good one will extend your range if you sit a lot of the time. It won't extend it much if you drive it continuously. Golf - yes because you are not driving it much of the time.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO