lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v ezgo regen motor noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpirate View Post
The noise I previously had has discontinued. The cart now tries to move in fwd and rev but doesn't. You can hear the motor revving but something is slipping without any grinding noise. I thought the input shaft into the transaxel might have been stripped but once I removed the motor I can turn the input shaft of the transaxel and it moves the wheels and doesn't seem to slip. I was hoping the coupler was stripped and could be replaced. I see that for a GE motor with a 19 spline coupler the coupler is replaceable. I have a 36 volt Electric Vehicle Power Systems motor on mine, 19 spline.
I mention what I did when looking for a noise to illustrate what can be done to apply a lot of turning force to the input shaft. At most, the motor is going to produce less than 100 Ft/lb of torque and you can duplicate that with a 2-ft lever and 50lbs of pressure at the end of it.

It is a direct drive system, so if the motor is spinning and and neither of the tires are moving, something is broken or slipping between the two.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #22
Airpirate
Not Yet Wild

I understand and agree. I just thought I would pull the couple and see if it was stripped on the motor end but if it's part of the armature I won't pursue it further. I read where the GE motor coupler was splined on bothe ends and replaceable. I'll try to torque the input shaft and look for slippage.
Airpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpirate View Post
I understand and agree. I just thought I would pull the couple and see if it was stripped on the motor end but if it's part of the armature I won't pursue it further. I read where the GE motor coupler was splined on bothe ends and replaceable. I'll try to torque the input shaft and look for slippage.
I'm not all that familiar with exactly how a spline coupler is attached to the armature shaft, but I have read here that some of the forum members have replaced them. IIRC, they heated it to get it off and on.

Maybe a new thread specifically about removing the coupler from the armature shaft would catch the eye of someone that had done it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #24
Airpirate
Not Yet Wild

To all who have contributed to the resolution of my cart problems I say thanks. What started out as a loud vibration while in regenerative braking mode, and later transitioned into no movement but the motor still sounds like it's revving problem. Well after completely removing the rear Axel assembly and motor, I determined the Axel spline were good, the input drive to the transaxel was good, the splines in the motor coupler were good. I did notice in the disassembly process that all the bushings in the rear springs were gone, including the upper and lower shakes. Finding nothing wrong with the motor or transaxel I reassembled the cart with all new bushings. I load tested all the batteries again and found one totally dead. Replaced the battery pack with a new set I had and these are the results.
The cart moves out fine and the noise is gone. I can still barely hear an audible tone on regenerative braking and can only assume that with all the bushings gone that this sounds was resonating throughout the cart and it was quite loud. Any way thanks to all of your hints and suggestions they were of great help. To anyone else experiencing loud noises associated with the transaxel either driving or in regen braking, don't neglect to check you bushings first.
Airpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO