lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Sid007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Chassis Lube Schedule for '94 Ezgo TXT.

Well, the title says it all, I guess. My dealer told me that they NEVER lube Ezgos. That does not sound reasonable, at all, but, as someone here stated, the cart world is a bit weird.

What's your idea on this?

Also, the Zerk fittings are pressed in, not screwed, and I popped a spindle fitting out with my grease gun by putting some lateral tension (I guess) on it. Now, I must say that for this to happen does not suggest suitable engineering practice. What a bummer!!!!
Sid007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Chassis Lube Schedule for '94 Ezgo TXT.

They must just replace parts when they wear out then??

I can't imagine never lubeING tires rods or steering boxes...or the spindles/king pins??? Don't do any you will be like me.. see my post about replacing kin pins and bushings.

As far as a schedule to do it. That would depend on your use. If not often one a year. But more realisticly every 6 months at a minimum and preferably once a quarter .
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Sid007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just as I suspected, Clemsoncartguy. NOT to lube seemed very cavalier. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Now, where's that grease gun????
Sid007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't find many zerk's on mine. None on the 'kings', only one I see is on the passenger side of the steering box. That's pretty bad.... None on the tie rod.... wow....
Guess there is not much that can be done, until the parts wear out.... Ideas anyone?????

Henri
ncrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid007 View Post
Well, the title says it all, I guess. My dealer told me that they NEVER lube Ezgos. That does not sound reasonable, at all, but, as someone here stated, the cart world is a bit weird.

What's your idea on this?

Also, the Zerk fittings are pressed in, not screwed, and I popped a spindle fitting out with my grease gun by putting some lateral tension (I guess) on it. Now, I must say that for this to happen does not suggest suitable engineering practice. What a bummer!!!!
Sounds like you have a cart made prior to 2001. I tell my customers to grease the front end at a minimum twice a year for casual use, 3 times a year for moderate use, and 4 times a year for heavy use. I have screwed in grease fittings to the spindles you are talking about without any issue in the past.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrr View Post
I don't find many zerk's on mine. None on the 'kings', only one I see is on the passenger side of the steering box. That's pretty bad.... None on the tie rod.... wow....
Guess there is not much that can be done, until the parts wear out....

Henri
As of January 2001 (halfway through the production cycle of the 2001 model year), They switched to an almost greaseless front end. The only ball joint that required grease is the one from the steering box as you mentioned. If you look at most modern cars, they have all gone greaseless as well...... Better production standards have allowed for this to happen.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Better lubricants in a sealed environment. Got to be better than 6 mos or a yr behind on needed maintenance. I've had plenty of 01/02 carts without front end issues so I guess it's working as designed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Better production standards have allowed for this to happen.
rabbitreborn,
Thanks, I feel better already.
Henri
Old 08-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ncrr,

To be fair, the biggest issue you are likely to have is if a rubber "boot" on one of the greaseless ball joints gets torn. If that happens, usually within 6 months to a year, the ball will pop out of the joint and the tie rod end will need to be replaced. When you are greasing your single grease fitting 2,3,or 4 times a year, check the condition of the boots on the 2 tie rod ends to determine if the boot is in good condition, if they are, leave them alone.

Rabbit
Old 08-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #10
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
To be fair, the biggest issue you are likely to have is if a rubber "boot" on one of the greaseless ball joints gets torn.
Ok they are there....

Henri
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO