lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
jim97go
Not Yet Wild

Default left axle problem?

1997 Electric EZGO. I was pulling drivers side brake drum. Axle came part way out. What holds it into hoghead? I pushed it back in but am thinking something inside came loose.
jim97go is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: left axle problem?

Welcome to BGW

A snap ring holds the bearing and axle in the rear end axle tube.

Here's some pics to help you.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post658807

I'm starting with the basic EZGO electric Dana rear end. This particular one is a 1997 model but they are pretty much the same from 1988 up. I have already removed the brake drums and backing plates so you are on your own on how those come off.

The first order of business was to remove the cover and drain the oil. Then we move onto removing the axles. They are held in with snap rings.

You simply remove the snap ring with snap ring pliers and the axles should pull out with the bearings intact...except for they always seem to be stuck big time in the housing. Scottyb truned me onto remounting the brake drum backwards onto the axle so you can hit the face of the drum using a dead blow hammer to drive the axle out. Works like a charm!

These were really stuck. I was beginning to wonder but they finally popped loose.

Once the axles are removed, there is yet another snap ring and then the axle seal. I'll remove and replace all of these parts. EZGO services these in kits that have the bearing, seal and new snap rings all in one package.

This is how I've figured out to remove the bearings from the axle shaft. Maybe not the right way but it works for me. I open up my bench vise wide enough to support the edge of the bearing and set the axle in the vise. Do not clamp the vise down on the axle. You will damage it!! Just let the jaws of the vise support the bearing and take a block of wood and place it on the end of the axle and hit the block of wood with a hammer driving the axle out of the bearing.

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
jim97go
Not Yet Wild

ok so snap ring is at the tire end of axle?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
rib33024

If you look at the second pic you can see the snap ring that holds the bearing and axle in

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes - find the snap ring (#47) grooves on each side of the bearing #48 in the exploded view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dana Elec.JPG (111.2 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim97go View Post
ok so snap ring is at the tire end of axle?
Yes it is
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:11 AM   #7
jim97go
Not Yet Wild

Thank You!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO