lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
airtower
Not Yet Wild

Default Equalization Charging?

First off, I have a 48V yamaha G22 cart but I'm posting in here since this forum gets a lot more views. I have Trojan T-875 batteries.

Recently I've been noticing a pretty significant drop in performance of my cart after about 10 minutes of stop and go driving. I measured the open-circuit voltages, and one is reading about .3v lower than the others. Measured the specific gravity, all cells are between 1.27 and 1.30 with the exception of one reading 1.11. This was done after letting the cart sit off the charger for about 20 hours after a full charge.

Trojan recommends that an equalization charge be performed as the first step in an attempt to remedy this problem. My issue however, is that the charger that came with my cart when I bought it has no equalization mode. It's not your standard charger, and it was bought off eBay and came with no user manual. A picture of a similar charger is attached, but I just grabbed that off google. Mine obviously has the binocular style plug. Per Trojan's direction, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, but that seems to have made no difference.

With a specific gravity that low, is there any hope at all for that cell, or am I looking at a new battery? Does anyone know if it's possible to use that style of charger to perform an equalization charge?

Lastly, are these kind of chargers any good? They're much cheaper than most, so I'm not sure of the quality. The seller of my cart said it was better than the factory charger, but I'm not sure I buy in to that.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1000.jpg (62.2 KB, 0 views)
airtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Equalization Charging?

not sure what brand charger that is, but it looks relatively small...check in to a DPI smart charger, we sell them for $350 new. They are well worth the price
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #3
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

What does the charger state for output?

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird6246 View Post
not sure what brand charger that is, but it looks relatively small...check in to a DPI smart charger, we sell them for $350 new. They are well worth the price
BGW sponsors sell for $285.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Stick with forum sponsors. They (above) offer superior support, and maintain this forum.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
airtower
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
What does the charger state for output?
Heh, it has one of those punch out labels on it for the different voltages they probably use the same case for. None of them are punched or marked on mine, so either 5A or 15A.

I'm not saying it's a bad charger for sure. I don't know how long it was used on the cart before I bought it, but I've had it for 5 months and have driven it daily without issue until recently. I don't think the charger caused my one cell to go bad, it's almost certainly my inattention to the electrolyte levels...and that won't happen again.
airtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO