lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
kevinwurst
Not Yet Wild

Default Speed up my EZGO TXT series cart?

Who has done mods to speed up a series cart? I'm sure this has been asked before but I would like to ask again and get some ideas!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
kevinwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Speed up my EZGO TXT series cart?

Series carts can be sped up by installing a motor and/or controller upgrade. A high speed motor will give you more speed but will decrease your torque. In order to gain both speed and torque, you'll need to install a motor controller with a higher amp output than the one you've got in it now. If you're on primarily flat ground, a high speed motor alone may be sufficient for you.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
kevinwurst
Not Yet Wild

What motor is recommended?

kevinwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwurst View Post
What motor is recommended?

I like the Admiral B1. I've used it on several E-Z-GO series cars. On 36 volts I was able to get 18-20 mph on regular golf cart size tires.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Depends on how fast you want to go. I have a 36v that is now running 48v, 23 in tires, 500A controller, 2 awg cables, HD F&R and has a plum quick bandit motor. With all that my wife's new RXV at her work is a lot faster. I probably run low to mid 20s on the flat.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:28 AM   #6
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjane View Post
Depends on how fast you want to go. I have a 36v that is now running 48v, 23 in tires, 500A controller, 2 awg cables, HD F&R and has a plum quick bandit motor. With all that my wife's new RXV at her work is a lot faster. I probably run low to mid 20s on the flat.
Timmy, I would have thought you would be faster than that with that setup. I've got some sort of factory upgraded motor, along with my Alltrax 48500 and am 21-23 while still at 36v. I'm just curious, did you install the 500 amp controller and the 48v pack at the same time? I'm getting ready to upgrade to 48v and assumed I'd pick up some speed.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjane View Post
Comparing the TXT to an RXV is really apples to oranges. The TXT is DC drive, so it requires parts changes and more voltage and/or current to go that fast. The RXV is AC drive, so it only requires programming. Sure, there are hopups for the RXV like the 350 Amp upgrade controller, but they are not required to just get more speed and torque. Larger battery cables are recommended for serious torque, but not required for average use. And even the upgrade controller requires programming to 'wake up' its abilities. A totally stock RXV with stock sized tires can be programmed to go up to 28/29 MPH and stay within the factory 9500 RPM limit. I prefer to reduce the factory RPM limit to 8500 RPM, and that still delivers a solid 25 MPH. Don't expect your local dealer to know how to do this, because most are not capable. A dealer level programmer does not have the capabilities to do these tweaks. So they lack the equipment, and the knowledge. I've found that most are shying away from RXVs because they can be finicky and difficult to troubleshoot/repair.

Beware of the common method of putting on larger tires/wheels though. As with all carts, doing this will help you go faster at the expense of torque. With the RXV the braking is also reduced because the AC motor regen is also the primary braking. The ony actual brake is an electric parking brake, and it is not designed for use while the vehicle is in motion. It is a spring brake of sorts. Braking pressure is applied by springs on a friction clutch, and applying power releases the brake so you can drive.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Timmy, I would have thought you would be faster than that with that setup. I've got some sort of factory upgraded motor, along with my Alltrax 48500 and am 21-23 while still at 36v. I'm just curious, did you install the 500 amp controller and the 48v pack at the same time? I'm getting ready to upgrade to 48v and assumed I'd pick up some speed.
I did. It may go a little faster. Like I said I haven't GPSd in a while and have forgotten what I actually hit. Either way its OK. Not mind blowing and still a little disappointing when you hit a hill or something. Well the top speed is ok but its the torque that's a problem. I hate dropping from 20 to 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Comparing the TXT to an RXV is really apples to oranges. The TXT is DC drive, so it requires parts changes and more voltage and/or current to go that fast. The RXV is AC drive, so it only requires programming.

Bob
The point is that the stock RXV is faster and torquier than a hopped up TXT. I don't have any experience with the DCS carts.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a DCS txt cart. 36 volt, xct 400, EMP motor, 20 inch tires... I get 23-24 mph. I have seen it 25mph clocked. In our neighborhood we have those devices on the speed limit signs that tell you how fast your going.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Kevin.....as you can see my set up in my signature....but you can see that if/when I jump to 48v....my top speed will end up in the neighborhood of 30 to 33 mph.

36V, 6" LIFT, 23" TIRES, ALLTRAX SPM-48500 Controller, HD F&R Switch, 400A SD Solenoid, 2 Ga. Cables, AMD 7126 "RAPTOR" Motor, Current Top Speed: 25 MPH
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO