lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car Precedent Batteries running down sooner than they used to

Cart is a ~2005, modified to be street legal, lifted, etc. in 2014. I've owned it since October 2015. Batteries are, presumably, original to the 2014 conversion. Batteries are Trojan Ranger 160s and charger is a Club Car Power Drive 3. It stays plugged in all the time, and we run the cart about once a month, usually going about 5-10 miles. The water in the batteries is all topped up and rarely drops down

We used to get upwards of 14 miles of range but now we are lucky to get 6.

Are the batteries just at the end of their service life? Or is there something else I can do to revive them, or other issues that might be causing the reduced range?

ETA:
I just went out to look at the batteries for this post. It's on the charger and I lifted the seat, and there is a faint gurgling coming from the batteries. Not sure if that's normal, it may have always done it, but I just happened to notice it now.
Rob_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
transfixer
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default re: Club Car Precedent Batteries running down sooner than they used to

You can check the date code on the batteries to see how old they are, should be on the neg terminal, if I understand correctly the charger only charges till full then shuts off, and won't come back on except every couple of weeks, the batteries will lose some power just sitting when the charger is off.

I'm fairly new here so I'm still learning , but because of a couple of discussions about battery life I've come across I just bought a battery maintainer to leave hooked up to my cart when I'm not using it for periods of time. My use will probably be very much like yours, the cart will sit more than its used, at least 3/4's of the year anyway.
The discussion about the maintainers was just a few days ago, you might go back and read it, a lot of good information.
transfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #3
shaffer88
Gone Wild

Negative terminal should have stamp indicating date. Google "Trojan battery date stamps" you'll find what the stamp means. I.e. E6.

When you say water is "topped off" how high above plates is water, you only want it about 1/4"

Gurgling can be normal. As long as charger is shutting off after 5-6 hours or less it's working properly. Check your batteries. Once charger turns off unplug and wait 12+ hours and check the voltage, and individual batteries. If you have one bad battery it can bring down the abilities of the rest of the pack.

Make sure there isn't any brake drag causing more strain on the cart reducing the run time.

Get the voltage numbers of the voltages and the dates and we can help you out better
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have a Trojan Hydrolink system, with the plungers in good working order, so when I say that the batteries are topped off I mean the system won't take any more water.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

You need to pull off the watering system and check the water.
A hydrometer test on each cell wouldn't hurt either.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Batteries like to be used. Too much down time is hard on them.

Example: on my airplane I had an electric starter. The first few years anytime the weather was cold I would hand prop the engine to start it. Theory was the starter would not release the gears fast enough and could grind the gears up in your engine. When doing this I got not much longer than one year out of a battery. It stayed charge but would not have enough power to crank the engine.

After about three years of new batteries I said heck with it and started using electric start every time I started the engine. When I sold the airplane the five year old battery was still doing great. Just something to think about. Use the cart more.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
You need to pull off the watering system and check the water.
I do, all the time. That's how I know that the plungers are working.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #8
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

Just checked and the date code indicates a September 2014 date, so about a year before I bought the cart and not even three years old.

I unplugged the charger just now and all batteries meter at 8.5 volts. I'll check again tomorrow morning and report back.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
Nsane
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, let the batteries rest and test each one and then test the whole pack voltage and let us know what you found.
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #10
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

Granted it's only been 3 hours, but all batteries still holding at 8.5 and 51 overall.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car