lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
scmoose
Gone Wild

Default Precedent Excel series cart speed question

Just bought a used cart, now after researching upgrading speed, looks like the cheap magnet option will not work. Question is, does the speed 4 program upgrade work out to the same speed as the magnet upgrade if I had the IQ cart? What should I expect from the speed 4 upgrade on a stock cart? 2012 Precedent, probably with tired batteries. Which leads me to another questions, how long should a set of batteries last if well maintained?
scmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
bussaruss
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Precedent Excel series cart speed question

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
Just bought a used cart, now after researching upgrading speed, looks like the cheap magnet option will not work. Question is, does the speed 4 program upgrade work out to the same speed as the magnet upgrade if I had the IQ cart? What should I expect from the speed 4 upgrade on a stock cart? 2012 Precedent, probably with tired batteries. Which leads me to another questions, how long should a set of batteries last if well maintained?

Speed code 4 should enable you to go 19 mph. And depending on battery brand and maintaining batteries you should at least get 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bussaruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
scmoose
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bussaruss View Post
Speed code 4 should enable you to go 19 mph. And depending on battery brand and maintaining batteries you should at least get 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How does speed code 4 compare to the magnet, on IQ carts?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

my 03 iq cart with magnet does 19 mph

my last set of off brand golf cart batteries lasted 8 years
ogre overfilled them like an automotive battery or they would still be in there
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
How does speed code 4 compare to the magnet, on IQ carts?
SP 4 is programmed through your controller to give you 19.x mph and the a speed magnet fools the system with pulses to allow the cart to run faster, but you do lose the regen capabilities and I like my regen so I use SP 4. My batteries are 8 years old next month.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
scmoose
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
SP 4 is programmed through your controller to give you 19.x mph and the a speed magnet fools the system with pulses to allow the cart to run faster, but you do lose the regen capabilities and I like my regen so I use SP 4. My batteries are 8 years old next month.
Excuse my ignorance but what is regen capability?
Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That is part of the IQ/Excel controls with the SepEx motors and I got this info when I was researching it way back when. The regenerative braking works by creating an electrical current from the mechanical action of the wheels when you let of the Go Pedal or are coasting down a hill. An electrical charge is produced by rotating a set of wires within the magnetic field. The energy source is created by the resistance of the wires rotating within the magnetic field. So the kinetic energy of the wheels is used to create electrical energy which is transferred and stored in the battery. You can't get something out of nothing, so the conversion of the mechanical energy to electrical energy causes the motor to slow down, and the cart to brake.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:02 AM   #8
scmoose
Gone Wild

But the regen braking slows the cart down on its own once it reaches the programed RPMs correct, preventing the cart from running too fast. So in a sense, those with the magnet upgrade can theoretically run faster that the speed 4 program since the magnets defeats the regen breaking along with fooling the computer about the actual RPM the motor is turning, and the speed 4 just changes the max RPM the motor will turn before applying the regen breaking. Did I explain all that correctly?
Old 05-31-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would not use the word "defeat" to explain the relation between the speed magnet (4-poles) and Regenerative Braking.

An IQ cart set for speed code 3 will prevent the cart from going above around 15mph.

If You replace the stock magnet (8-poles) with a speed magnet (4-poles), the controller will still prevent the cart from exceeding the code 3 limit by engaging Regen, but that will now happen at 30 mph.

Obviously a stock components cart will not reach 30 mph (unless in a free fall), but it could exceed the speed 4 limit of 19.x mph.

I am also a proponent of Regen brake, even on my Alltrax XCT I use a modified version of the system.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
scmoose
Gone Wild

Got it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car