lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
beachguysc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Accessory stereo set up

This is my first post and not club car specific, sonot sure if there is a more appropriate technical section somewhere. I recently bought a 2008 Club Car Precedent, 48v with 4-12 volt batteries. It has a pioneer head unit with 4 speakers, amp, and 10” sub in a vantage enclosure. It sounds awesome, but has a few components I’m rewriring or upgrading. This system is powered by a separate gel 12v 33ah small battery and a small solar panel on the roof wired directly to this battery that does seem to provide some charge during the day. I also have a 12v trickle charger I can hook up to when in the garage. Currently, the radio has a kill switch so it doesn’t drain the battery, but every time I shut it off, when I turn it back on, have to go through all the settings to make the sub work again. If I wire the yellow wire directly to the acc. battery with a small fuse, will it have much power draw when turned off? Also, this small battery is nearing the end of its life. Is there a different battery that may work better for this type of application? I should add that I’m also installing a light kit with blinkers to this extra battery. I was also curious if I could occasionally use a small set of jumper cable to draw power off one of the 12v golf cart batteries when in a pinch. Like at dusk when my stereo has drained the battery and solar is not recharging. I wouldn’t want the lights to drain the acc. Battery and kill it, and I could alternate which 12v I was drawing from if extended use was needed. Thanks.
beachguysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
sidewalkman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Accessory stereo set up

You're working with the best setup for accessories, having 12V batteries. You can simply just use one of the 4 as the power source. Wire the accessories to the + and - of 1 battery and you're good to go. The power draw is really nothing if the head unit shuts down and the clock isn't displayed, even then it's likely 1 small LED that won't draw much, it only keeps the clock correct and saves your settings. Everyone with 6-8V batteries have to get a converter to get what you have right out of the box.
sidewalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

there should be a red & yellow wire. red wire is 12 volt keyed, keep it on the kill switch. the yellow wire should be for memory only keep it hot at all times, it has minimal draw

_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
I was also curious if I could occasionally use a small set of jumper cable to draw power off one of the 12v golf cart batteries when in a pinch.
yes

if the battery is at end of life, and you have room throw a big battery in there or get a 48 to 12 converter for full time use
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Accessory stereo set up

The consensus is that using one battery out of your pack will un balance the pack and negatively impact the overall lifespan. Voltage reducer really is the way to go and most have a constant 12v wire for the radio memory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #6
beachguysc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the advice. Glad to know I can direct wire the yellow and hook the red to kill switch. Because I have the four 12v battery set up, I think I will keep the extra battery in place. From what I’ve read on this forum, my four 12v’s is not as efficient as the six 8v’s and I don’t want to tax my system on the days I go 10-15 miles, with my four 6.5’s, 10” kicker sub, and 2000 watt amp pushing hard. I would still appreciate any recommendations for a smaller battery that might be more efficient than my current 12v 33ah gel.
beachguysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is what I had before I installed the reducer. But the reducer is much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessory battery, gel, solar
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car