lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Ds powerdrive battery light

I bought a cart from a junk pile payed 100 for it.cart was complete minus charge plug which i had one.I installed some used batterys took it for a ride.Drove great the light flashes on then off .Brought it back plugged the charger in wouldnt charge so i called it good for the night.Next mourning was going to delete the obc but before i did i plugged the charger in it started charging so i left it on it took a charge.Took it for another ride light flickering on then off.Plugged it back in called it good charged it took a charge unplugged it next day went for a ride the light was on then i turned the key switch on light went off,so i decided to try and reset the obc key off unhooked neg and positive cable put unit in reverse hold the throttle d own 5 minutes later buzzer still going off so i put it back together drove it around .light still flickers on the off is the light always powered with key off?The key switch was bad so i put a new one on it maybe wired it wrong any thought would be appreciated. I have a stand alone charger cart has been sitting dead with no batterys for years maybe more was suprized it still worked
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Ds powerdrive battery light

What is the year of the cart? And the OBC light will come on with the key on or off.... And if you still heard the buzzer, you did not have the correct cable off as after 5 minutes there would have been no power to energize it....)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

1998 i took off postive cables and negative cables on the end of battery pack.when i was changing key switch the light would come on if i bumped the wires on the light maybe lightis bad?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If you had the pack disconnected, the OBC would be dead and unable to trigger the light. They key would be dead also....
Old 08-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #5
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

The light came on after i put the key switch on and batteries connected when i was putting the dash back in maybe just a coinadent i will check it tonite again
Old 08-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I believe the light is working properly and at the start when it comes on it is telling you the batteries are already less than <90% charged. It comes on some as you ride to let you know you are reaching or at low charge levels for the pack. This is common with used batteries.

If you tried to plug it in immediately after a ride where the batteries got very low, the relay in the charger may not have had sufficient voltage to close in. After the batteries sat for a while and there static voltage came back up, it could have then closed in the relay and the charger came on....

Get a meter and check the pack voltage before, during, and after a ride.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Angry Re: Ds powerdrive battery light

So far i think obc is a headache its been charging fine for two days rode the cart for a hour plugged it in no charge the light never blinked or came on tomorrow its getting yanked out including the i d iot light going with my old lestronic stand alone charger.Not sure if people like it i dont
Old 08-23-2018, 10:41 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Used batteries + battery light + won't charge... Sounds like batteries are worn out and need to be replaced.

I have a fleet with 9 Electric Club cars, 6 of those are 1998 or older. All of them have an OBC. Haven't had a problem with the OBC on any of them, and they are far from perfect.
When the battery light comes on, if it blinks, or stays on for a certain amount of time, it's a code for something. It can mean several different things. Get an owners manual for the cart and read about the OBC functions. It will explain exactly what the light means, and what it's trying to tell you.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:03 AM   #9
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

The light never came on i had these batteries in a nother cart using a stand alone charger never had a problem the batteries are ok i have load tested them used a hydrometer on them there fine.You need to remember this cart was in a junk yard dead for who knows how long maybe the obc was not working correctly to begine with just trying to figure it out the powerewise charger was also in the junk pile also left in the weather it could also be part of my problem.I have two differant stand alone chargers that work so thats the route im going.I was trying to keep it stock the cart didnt have any batteries in it when i brought it home not sure how the obc figures out how much to charge when it hasnt been used for so long with no batteries in it.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxyflash View Post
-snip-
not sure how the obc figures out how much to charge when it hasnt been used for so long with no batteries in it.
It uses a dv/dt algorithm for the first few charges until it has enough information to change over the energy unit counting.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car