lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default Stock series motor ?

If I was to upgrade my 36 volt cart to 48 volts, an Alltrax SR 48500 controller, 400/1000 amp solenoid, HD F&R switch and 2 gauge cables, how long will the stock motor last?
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stock series motor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
If I was to upgrade my 36 volt cart to 48 volts, an Alltrax SR 48500 controller, 400/1000 amp solenoid, HD F&R switch and 2 gauge cables, how long will the stock motor last?
From what I was told the 36v series motor loves 48v more because it requires less amperage to operate at 48v. I just did all the upgrading on my 95 medalist and couldn't be happier.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I ran mine on 48 volts set at 500 amps for a while, before I "needed" a faster motor. The only thing you need to worry about is heat. Mine would get borderline, if I pushed it too hard for too long, but as long as I kept an eye on it, no problem. I added an Alltrax ExRay, which has motor and ambient temp, among other things. You can either do that or manually check it with a hand held temp gun or a wet finger (sizzle test).
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycason View Post
From what I was told the 36v series motor loves 48v more because it requires less amperage to operate at 48v. I just did all the upgrading on my 95 medalist and couldn't be happier.
You have your medalist set up the exact way I want to do mine. Are you running stock rims and tires? I have 22" tires on mine. From what I understand, that makes a big difference from stock tires.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
You have your medalist set up the exact way I want to do mine. Are you running stock rims and tires? I have 22" tires on mine. From what I understand, that makes a big difference from stock tires.
When I first did the install I had the stock ones on it and was getting around 14 mph but it didn't stay that way for long before I threw some 20" tires I had on a gas club car and that went up to 16mph with no real noticeable difference in power.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycason View Post
When I first did the install I had the stock ones on it and was getting around 14 mph but it didn't stay that way for long before I threw some 20" tires I had on a gas club car and that went up to 16mph with no real noticeable difference in power.
That's great! Do you do any driving in the dirt and/or up and down hills? My cart will be strictly a hunting cart. Pretty much back and forth to my hunting stands. Most of my driving will be on dirt logging roads, but I do have one pretty big incline on my property. I've included a pic of the hill, just wondering if this is going to be a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4585.jpg (135.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I ran mine on 48 volts set at 500 amps for a while, before I "needed" a faster motor. The only thing you need to worry about is heat. Mine would get borderline, if I pushed it too hard for too long, but as long as I kept an eye on it, no problem. I added an Alltrax ExRay, which has motor and ambient temp, among other things. You can either do that or manually check it with a hand held temp gun or a wet finger (sizzle test).
With a hand held temp gun, what temps are okay, and what's too hot?
Old 11-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I use the wet finger method, the way our Moms tested the iron. If it sizzles, it's time to let it rest. Water boils at 100° C. Class H magnet wire insulation is good up to 180° C, but there's no easy way to check actual windings, and the motor case temp lags behind the interior. So I use 100° C or 212° F to be safe.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I use the wet finger method, the way our Moms tested the iron. If it sizzles, it's time to let it rest. Water boils at 100° C. Class H magnet wire insulation is good up to 180° C, but there's no easy way to check actual windings, and the motor case temp lags behind the interior. So I use 100° C or 212° F to be safe.
Sounds good, thanks
Old 11-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #10
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
That's great! Do you do any driving in the dirt and/or up and down hills? My cart will be strictly a hunting cart. Pretty much back and forth to my hunting stands. Most of my driving will be on dirt logging roads, but I do have one pretty big incline on my property. I've included a pic of the hill, just wondering if this is going to be a problem.
I don't see where that would be a problem personally. Mine will be mostly just riding around the yard and at campgrounds and there isn't many hills around here in SE Louisiana.

We have these for when the going gets tough lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RZRs.jpg (318.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO