lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
sonofagunn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default One new battery question

I know it's not recommended to replace just 1 unless the others are all nearly new. I am wondering exactly why. I have read that the one new battery can be damaged during charging by reaching full voltage first and boiling off some while the others are still charging.

Is that the only way the new battery is damaged, or does an imbalance during running the cart also harm the batteries somehow?
sonofagunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: One new battery question

Not only the new battery reaches full charged capacity first and then starts to overcharge, but a fully charged battery has a higher internal resistance that lowers the charging current and prevents the older batteries from fully charging.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
sonofagunn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Not only the new battery reaches full charged capacity first and then starts to overcharge, but a fully charged battery has a higher internal resistance that lowers the charging current and prevents the older batteries from fully charging.
Thanks Sergio, so that's another charging problem, but are there any drawbacks or damage from running the cart with one stronger battery? The charging problems could be worked around by having a 4-bank charger (if one has a 4 battery 12v setup) that monitors and chargers each battery individually. I realize those multi-bank chargers are lower amp usually but they also have their advantages.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If you have to replace a battery in a used pack, just try to get a good used battery and let that buy you time until you can replace the entire pack.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

if You have 12v batteries and a bank charger, then you are not impacted by the limitations of charging batteries in series.

Just keep in mind that the SOC of your "Series" pack is equal to the lowest SOC in any battery, meaning if one battery can only deliver 50AH, your entire pack can only deliver 50AH.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
sonofagunn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
if You have 12v batteries and a bank charger, then you are not impacted by the limitations of charging batteries in series.

Just keep in mind that the SOC of your "Series" pack is equal to the lowest SOC in any battery, meaning if one battery can only deliver 50AH, your entire pack can only deliver 50AH.
Hmm, I see. So you could avoid the charging problems but wouldn't be seeing much (if any) benefit in run time or performance from the one stronger battery.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:08 AM   #7
Vital Enterprise
Not Yet Wild

But if your charger allows you to regulate voltage &/or current and you've only got one bad battery, you'll be saving the life of the others in the set.
Vital Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car