lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
GACarts
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 PDS Forward / Reverse Conversion (Bell Type to Rocker Switch on the Dash)

I have the odd ball year 2000 36V EZGO PDS that has the bell housing type Forward Reserve Lever style under the seat switch and I want to convert to the Rocker F/R Switch that goes on the dash.

I've already cut the 3 wires that run to the two microswitches on the original F/R and ran them to the dash. They are "Green, Orange, and Orange/Red". I did a lot of research before posting this and the majority of threads were DCS to PDS conversions as most of the DCS carts have the same type of "bell housing" F/R under the seat.

I was told that I would need to run a diode on the new 3 Prong Rocker Switch. Would this be correct:

Green ---> Forward Prong
Orange ---> Reverse Prong
Orange/Red ---> Middle Prong
***Diode ---> Green to Orange with the banded/cylinder thing closest to the green prong?

Also- As far as the diode, would one similar to what comes with a HD Solenoid work? I received two when I ordered it...

OR am I totally missing this and need to get a 6-Prong rocker switch and utilize all the wires on the original F/R Switch? I cut them above the plugs before they split into two blue/yellow. I've also already re-rerouted the Reverse Beeper to next to the controller.

Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (16.5 KB, 0 views)
GACarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 PDS Forward / Reverse Conversion (Bell Type to Rocker Switch on the Dash)

Man u pulling up the way back. If I remember correctly for the cart to run in forward both micros r pressed when in reverse only one is pressed so the rocker switch idea is a a ruff one. If it was me I would leave reverse micro pressed constantly and use a he on and off style switch for forward. On=f off=r. Hope that made sense. Happy carting.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 PDS Forward / Reverse Conversion (Bell Type to Rocker Switch on the Dash)

GACarts, Your proposed wiring is correct.

The diode should be at least 3 amps for reliable operation since it will carry the Solenoid coil current.

The diode shipped with an HD Solenoid should meet the specification.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Please people, be aware he has an early 2000 PDS cart with a hockey puck type F/R.

The dash mounted F/R switch in the later version of the PDS is a SPDT/Center-Off switch (ON-off-ON) without any diodes or anything else.

In a nutshell, pack voltage is placed on J1 Pin-3 for Forward or on J1 Pin-2 for Reverse. (There is a diode between Pins 2 & 3, but it is inside the the PDS controller.)

Here are a couple drawings that may help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Keyswitch without lights.jpg (33.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
GACarts
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Please people, be aware he has an early 2000 PDS cart with a hockey puck type F/R.

The dash mounted F/R switch in the later version of the PDS is a SPDT/Center-Off switch (ON-off-ON) without any diodes or anything else.

In a nutshell, pack voltage is placed on J1 Pin-3 for Forward or on J1 Pin-2 for Reverse. (There is a diode between Pins 2 & 3, but it is inside the the PDS controller.)

Here are a couple drawings that may help.
JB - Thanks for your diagrams. Those are very helpful. I still have a couple of questions.

I've upgraded the controller to the AllTrax 500 XCT and also added the HD Solenoid. Does the Alltrax controller have the diode running from Pin3/Pin4 for the Rocker switch, or do I still need to add the Diode between the Orange/Green (F/R) prongs on the dash mounted switch?

Also- The diagram states "Gray" for the middle prong, but I'm assuming that is the Orange/Red wire for the older 2000 PDS carts?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The stock PDS wiring harness plugs plug into the matching jacks provided on the XCT48500-PDS without any additions. deletions or modifications. In other words, the XCT48xxx-PDS has the internal diode, like the stock PDS (Curtis 1206MX) controller does.

However, the solenoid wiring is different for an XCT than it is for a stock PDS controller.

1. No pre-charge resistor is used.
2. A 3A diode is installed between the two small (coil) terminals. The banded end faces the Yellow (+) wire.
3. A 6A 660V diode (Regen Diode) is installed between the two large (High current contacts) terminals. The banded end faces the battery side (+) large terminal.

Attached is a schematic showing an XCT installed in a PDS cart.

The Gray, or the Orange/Red, goes on the common contact (center - usually) terminal. Depends on when the cart was built for the wire color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XCT-PDS with regen diode.jpg (213.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
GACarts
Not Yet Wild

After using your diagrams, my cart is running! I appreciate your help. The Alltrax was blinking "Green-Red-Red" (Low Battery Voltage) because it was set for 48V from the factory and my cart is only 36V. I was able to plug it in to my computer and "Low Voltage" setting down to 26 per Alltrax customer service and now the wheels are turning.

The Reverse/Forward switch works perfect on the dash.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback.
Glad you got it going.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #9
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Glad u got it working

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO