lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Missing A2 connection on controller.

If the Controller does not have the A2 terminal it cannot do plug brake.

If while moving forward at speed you put the cart in Reverse and step on the gas, if the Controller does not have Plug Brake capability you would be hitting the windshield as the rear end would lock.

If the Controller has plug brake capability the accelerator would control the "motor brake" effect until the cart stopped, if at that point you still have your foot on the accelerator the cart would start going into reverse.

Plug brake is not nearly as "smooth" or controllable like the Regenerative brake and none of the energy created by the brake is returned to the batteries, it is also dissipated as heat between the Motor and Controller.

Plug brake is very common in forklifts.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #12
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Missing A2 connection on controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If the Controller does not have the A2 terminal it cannot do plug brake.

If while moving forward at speed you put the cart in Reverse and step on the gas, if the Controller does not have Plug Brake capability you would be hitting the windshield as the rear end would lock.

If the Controller has plug brake capability the accelerator would control the "motor brake" effect until the cart stopped, if at that point you still have your foot on the accelerator the cart would start going into reverse.

Plug brake is not nearly as "smooth" or controllable like the Regenerative brake and none of the energy created by the brake is returned to the batteries, it is also dissipated as heat between the Motor and Controller.

Plug brake is very common in forklifts.
My question to you is did the early model Ezgo carts with the A-2 connection have this. I understand the later models did but what about the early ones? I built several 89-90's Ezgo carts and never herd anybody talk about this in them.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:47 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
My question to you is did the early model Ezgo carts with the A-2 connection have this. I understand the later models did but what about the early ones? I built several 89-90's Ezgo carts and never herd anybody talk about this in them.
I have no idea about EzGo, but it makes no sense for the cart to have a cable to the Controller A2 if it did not do plug brake.

Just because the Controller has the A2 terminal does not mean it has to be used and I don't thing the EzGo engineers are dummies to wire an unnecessary connection.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I have no idea about EzGo, but it makes no sense for the cart to have a cable to the Controller A2 if it did not do plug brake.

Just because the Controller has the A2 terminal does not mean it has to be used and I don't thing the EzGo engineers are dummies to wire an unnecessary connection.
I agree, The early Ezgos used Curtis controls with A2 and Plug Braking as was deemed necessary to protect the unit from the operator. Including the Marathon. The A2 terminal disappeared in later models because dumping excess current into the controller caused excessive heat which led to early failure
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #15
Zincode
Getting Wild

Kind got away with the A2 "plug brake" but I want to add another chapter to my concern: after cart sits overnight, batteries at 37.9 volts, cart will move under it's own power but starts to slow in 10 feet and stops moving totally in a other 5 feet. Like a dead battery pack. Will go forward or reverse. Both solenoid resistors are disconnected at this time for testing purposes. All other connections feel tight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Zincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #16
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Start with the batteries. How old are they? Connect your DVM to the pack and see how low the voltage drops to while driving.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #17
Zincode
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Start with the batteries. How old are they? Connect your DVM to the pack and see how low the voltage drops to while driving.
Thank you. Batteries are 27 month old Trojan with date code A8 on negative terminal. I own 5 ezgo carts and took the set out of a cart that operated perfect. This is a new to me cart. Beginning of post I had a scenario where the test jumper fell onto M- of the controller that other end was holding meter lead to B+. Cart motor worked, speed controller functioned while Bach wheels were lifted. I usually have a great golfcart shop perform diagnostic for me but have not worked in 5 weeks and want to try and have this cart ready when do open back up. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Zincode is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO