lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2020, 11:26 PM   #1
dungY
Not Yet Wild

Default alltrax xct48500 problems

Hi all,
just installed a brand new xct48500 with new heavy duty curtis solenoid in my ezgo pds 36V.
upon startup the cart goes in reverse just fine but does not go forward. In the forward select, it lunges backwards slightly and dies and i get a fault code for motor field failure but this only occurs in the forward select. i can select to reverse and go with no faults. i had to swap the f1 and f2 on the board just to get it go forward but then im unable to go in reverse. havn't found many troubleshoots for the motor field failure (1 green 5 red flashes) anyone have any ideas? could the select switch cause this fault??
dungY is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: alltrax xct48500 problems

Check for worn through insulation on the F1 & F2 cables. Typically happens where they are routed around battery fame. (Image attached)

The only significant difference between forward and reverse is the direction the amps flow through the field windings, which in turn determines whether the armature spins in a CW or CCW direction.

Since the error only occurs in one direction, I suspect the problem is related to the polarity of the XCT's F1 & F2 terminals. I'm grasping at straws, but if the conductor inside one of the cables attached to those terminals was touching the frame and the frame was electrically connected to either the battery pack's B+ or B-, then the failure would only occur in one direction and not the other.

Another possibility is an internal failure inside the XCT. I'm not entirely sure what the low power output circuit to the field windings consists of, but if it is something akin to complimentary pairs of N-channel and P-channel MOSFETs, then one set being shorted might produce those symptoms.

If the F1/F2 cables are good, it is time to contact Alltrax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
dungY
Not Yet Wild

thanks johnnieB i checked the wires and they are intact. i ran new ones also just to rule that out. would you think theres a possibility with a short in the motor itself? i was considering that but seeing as how i can go both forward and reverse by swapping the f1 and f2 leads, i had ruled that out initially. trying to check as much as i can before i contact alltrax.
dungY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The motor generally knows/cares not a bit which direction its spinning. If it works in one direction, its capable of the other direction.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Ditto on what cgtech said.

It's time to contact Alltrax.

They may have some tests they'll want you to do.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO