lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default How much braking does an AC motor do?

Going down a hill or just letting off the brakes in general, should you feel noticeable braking, much like if you were braking yourself to slow down? I have a recently purchased cart and am trying to determine if it's slow down when I let off the accelerator is normal?
mikec35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: How much braking does an AC motor do?

In the case of an RXV, the AC motor does 100% of the braking. And regenerative braking can be adjusted to "more" or 'less' in the controller. (Now what that requires, or can you get the things it requires, is unknown, since you didnt tell us what you bought).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
In the case of an RXV, the AC motor does 100% of the braking. And regenerative braking can be adjusted to "more" or 'less' in the controller. (Now what that requires, or can you get the things it requires, is unknown, since you didnt tell us what you bought).
I was trying to get a general idea of how the AC motors braking worked. I didn't say what I bought because I thought I would be ignored or sent to another forum, it's a 2010 Star Street Legal LSV cart, they now call them the Classic. The mechanical rear drum brakes don't work well at all so I took the drums off, cleaned everything and scuffed the shoes and drums, adjusted the shoes and reinstalled the drums . I then tightened the the brake cable adjuster under the car. After a drive I noticed what I thought was the motor braking but couldn't tell if I adjusted the brakes too much. I've been searching the Star forum but there is not much activity over there. From what I have been reading I think my cart is like the RXV EZGO's. Thank you
Old 08-23-2020, 04:32 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Not at all like a rxv, (only thing at all in common is a AC motor, nothing else). it's closer to a TXT, but a chinese copy. If you compare it to a RXV, the thought process & answers will only take you farther away from what your looking for, get that comparison out of your head. You should have a AC system made by HPEVS (they wont be "tech support" for your whole electrical system though, they didnt make the star wiring harness, just supplied the motor & controller that was supplied to JH global), which is a nice system, the best part of the whole cart. (And very adjustable, if it is the system our AC star carts used). If it rolls around freely before, and after a drive, the brakes arent too tight.

I suspected you left out details for the exact reason you left out the details. We were a star dealer in 2010, and I know plenty about them. I am still dealing with the repercussions of those things. Nice shot at "sneaking in" though, got caught.

If you want to learn about it, read the controller model number off the controller, go to curtis website, download the 150ish page manual, read it. (Not every single page applies to your carts configuration)

Sorry, I'm not too interested in being a internet Star tech support, I'll let JH Global handle that, I am not a fan. They are a pain in the *** for me in my real job, not wanting to add that to my "after work activities"
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #5
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply, that is some great info. I appreciate the tip on the controller manual and letting me know about the TXT. I'm pretty mechanical and can figure a lot of stuff out, sometimes I just need a tip to head in the right direction. I understand your desire to not have to deal with the Star carts. I needed a cart that was street legal and got this one at a good price, it's appears to have held up well as it has 10,000+ miles on the clock. There is a little play in the steering and a little clunk in the rear if you take off hard, I'll try to find out if there are cheaper alternatives to the Star premium parts for those items and it'll be an easy cruiser back and forth to the river about 1/2 miles away to go fishing. Thanks again for the great info!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO