lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
hawaiianstyln
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Solenoid resistors

First off, thank you for this great forum and my first post.
I've dug into a TON of your threads, i'm 100% newbie with carts but moderately mechanically inclined and a good DIY'er.

Bought a 95 EZGO TXT 36V (Series) off a buddy and currently troubleshoot several things as it may have sat for a while.
-I have 38.5v on the pack with 1 year old batteries
-I am getting the "No Click" at the solenoid. Tried to jump it and nothing (could be doing it wrong)
-I have bypassed the reed switch. I replaced the solenoid with a new one, still no click. I have ordered a new ITS not knowing if that is an issue or not.

One thing that looks odd to me is the 3 resistors (1 large/2 small) on the solenoid (Pic attached). Shouldn't there be 1-2 resistors? Not sure if someone can point me in the right direction to order the proper resistor(s) and figured I would just replace them. Would the resistors not even matter if I jumped/bypassed the solenoid anyways.

I found a few diagrams that I need to trace out the wires to make sure I have pack voltage from johnnieB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mySolenoid.jpg (224.1 KB, 0 views)
hawaiianstyln is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Solenoid resistors

The small things are diodes - not resistors. Not sure why there are two of them. Normally, one would do.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
hawaiianstyln
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
The small things are diodes - not resistors. Not sure why there are two of them. Normally, one would do.
the 2nd diode is actually what initially threw me off as I've seen many other applications and only see one diode across those posts
Old 10-05-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Somebody probably thought that two lower current diodes makes one higher current diode. Not a good idea. A good high quality 3 amp diode is what should be used.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

First of all, that is a DCS controller. (10 pin plug , Series has a 6 pin)

Secondly, the diode/resistor kludge is connected between the solenoid's large terminals.

Apparently somebody has tried to use discrete components to duplicate the Resistor/Diode assembly EZGO connected between the solenoid's large terminals in DCS carts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCS Resistor - Diode assembly.jpg (38.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCS Schematic - Later type FNR.jpg (190.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
hawaiianstyln
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
First of all, that is a DCS controller. (10 pin plug , Series has a 6 pin)
Thanks for sharing that Johnnie! I also came across this that I need to begin to tackle out to find why I can't get this cart to run even with a new solenoid. jumped the motor and no issues there. Which means I need to make sure all those wires and the direction is correct.

I assume if I start to get stuck that should be a separate thread
Attached Files
File Type: txt DCS_1260SX_Troubleshooting.txt (4.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-05-2021, 12:53 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Probably better to start new thread for troubleshooting since title is about solenoid resistors.

FWIW: DCS was EZGO's first attempt at a sepex drive and the Curtis 1206SX controller has some issues, so if it is bad replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-DCS.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #8
hawaiianstyln
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

would there be any finger pointing at that jerry rigged resistor/diode if it has no continuity and when it connects across the large posts I now go from 38.5 volts on the pack but then after the solenoid I read 35.5 volts
I guess I can imagine why someone made jumper resistor/diode to not have to buy that one that JohnnieB showed the correct one that seems to be about $50 online from my research

Do I even have to have this solenoid that needs this "Pre charged Resistor/Diode assembly" or can I just upgrade to a heavier duty solenoid like PlumQuick sells?
Old 10-06-2021, 06:51 AM   #9
jbaxley65
Not Yet Wild

Im also new and my first post. Thanks!
I see the picture posted and confused about the blue wire on the solenoid is on the opposite side from the wired diagram i have. Is this picture correct for a ezgo dcs cart?
jbaxley65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:02 AM   #10
hawaiianstyln
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaxley65 View Post
Im also new and my first post. Thanks!
I see the picture posted and confused about the blue wire on the solenoid is on the opposite side from the wired diagram i have. Is this picture correct for a ezgo dcs cart?
It may very well be! I just got this cart for $500 because "it wasn't working". Knowing that the batteries/rims and tires were worth more than that, I figured I would snatch this thing up and start troubleshooting.

I would look to the gurus on this forum to tell us and I will go back and look at the diagram.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO