lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2022, 08:25 PM   #11
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Bought new set of batteries (48v) and can't believe the shops recommend charging

This is the way I understand about charge cycles. A lead acid battery is rated for 500 charge cycles. A cycle consists of a charge from fully discharged to full charge. If you charge a battery that is 50% discharged it only counts a half a charge cycle. So, you still get the same number of cycles. The problem comes in when you run them down too low. That's what causes the damage. The best thing to do is charge them 1/4 cycle at a time. It's time somebody invented a BMS for lead batteries.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2022, 11:24 PM   #12
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: Bought new set of batteries (48v) and can't believe the shops recommend charging

Put the charger on the batteries after using your cart everytime. Even to the mailbox and back, no matter if thats 10 miles or 200 feet.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:16 AM   #13
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
This is the way I understand about charge cycles. A lead acid battery is rated for 500 charge cycles. A cycle consists of a charge from fully discharged to full charge. If you charge a battery that is 50% discharged it only counts a half a charge cycle. So, you still get the same number of cycles. The problem comes in when you run them down too low. That's what causes the damage. The best thing to do is charge them 1/4 cycle at a time. It's time somebody invented a BMS for lead batteries.
Yeah he said something like that. "Good for 1200 charges" or something. I actually am trashing my old charger. It's an OEM and beat up. Want to start off good with these.
Cavediver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #14
SEHunter
Gone Wild

I used to work at an industrial battery company (electric forklift batteries). In that industry, it was also suggested to discharge to 20% then fully recharge. Keep in mind this is a very different application in that these batteries are running fork trucks every day all day. The reason is it was said that not “working” the lead plates will lead to plate hardening which would lead to lost capacity. Most people would know this event as a battery forming a “memory”. The plates work as a sponge and absorbs the electrolyte solution during recharge and they essentially are wrung out like a rag during discharge. That’s why the electrolyte level rises after charging a discharged battery.

That said, I still plug my cart up every time I finish riding it, regardless of how long i drive. The primary reason is because that’s the overwhelming recommendation from this forum with people who have been using and charging golf carts for decades. I’ve replaced 3 sets of batteries in my cart (1 set Deka, 2 sets Trojan) and each pack lasted 5 years.

My opinion is the industrial recommendation is also ok. The damage to batteries comes more from not being watered properly and over discharge or too deep discharge. The worst enemy to a LA battery is Heat.

What’s funny though is the introduction of modern fast and opportunity chargers in the forklift industry that reversed conventional wisdom. Where battery companies warned against “short charging”, they now preach it because that’s how fast and opportunity charging works because it’s designed to reduce or eliminate battery changes.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:26 AM   #15
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavediver86 View Post
Yeah he said something like that. "Good for 1200 charges" or something.
Yes ... Trojans says 1200 charges for a 50% depth of discharge.

But Trojan also says 3000 charges at a 20% depth of discharge. Or about 800 charges at a 80% depth of discharge.

See attached plot for more information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan - Cycle Life Chart.JPG (43.8 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:13 AM   #16
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Yes ... Trojans says 1200 charges for a 50% depth of discharge.

But Trojan also says 3000 charges at a 20% depth of discharge. Or about 800 charges at a 80% depth of discharge.

See attached plot for more information.
So this supports the notion that you get more life (charges) out of using the batteries to a lower percentage. I guess with carts it's a balance that we don't run them all day long down to 20% and charge. Letting them sit for weeks to get that low probably would do more harm than good in the long run
Old 01-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavediver86 View Post
So this supports the notion that you get more life (charges) out of using the batteries to a lower percentage. I guess with carts it's a balance that we don't run them all day long down to 20% and charge. Letting them sit for weeks to get that low probably would do more harm than good in the long run
Exactly the opposite.

20% depth of discharge is only using 20% of the battery from a full charge. (Recharging when there is 80% remaining life).

80% depth of discharge is using 80% of the battery from a full charge. (Leaving 20% remaining life)

And yes… Leaving the batteries in a deeply discharged state is a sure fire way to damage/ruin them.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:16 PM   #18
Cavediver86
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Exactly the opposite.

20% depth of discharge is only using 20% of the battery from a full charge. (Recharging when there is 80% remaining life).

80% depth of discharge is using 80% of the battery from a full charge. (Leaving 20% remaining life)

And yes… Leaving the batteries in a deeply discharged state is a sure fire way to damage/ruin them.
Ohhhhhh ok yeah that makes sense. Has that bassackwards
Old 01-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #19
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Some of the people that battery shops hire are not the brightest. I once went to a battery shop and the flunkie I dealt with told me that an alternator had nothing to do with charging a battery. Just hiring warm bodies!
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car