lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
DevilDog04
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Need Help With Diagnosing My 1991 36 Volt Electric Club Car DS Issue! Please Help!!

I have a 1991 36 volt electric Club Car DS, the one with the resistor coil (V-Glid). It was working perfectly until my nephew got out on it and had a wreck on it a while back! He cut a right turn to soon and hit one of those concrete slab drain covers that run along and are built into the curb on the side of our neighborhood's street! After he hit it he and the cart seemed to be fine so I let him continue to drive it without any problems the rest of that day. Well after he was done driving it that day I parked it, charged it up like I always do after riding it, and didn't mess with it or try to drive it for a long time. The next time I even touched it was when he was supposed to be coming over about a little over a month later, I knew he would want to ride it so I went out to get it ready. I went to plug it in to top off the charge and NOTHING, the charger wouldn't even come on and the cart itself wouldn't move at all when I tried to drive it! I have left it sitting for way longer than that before and have always been able to just jump right on it and drive without even charging it/topping off the charge! Cause like I said I ALWAYS charge it up when I've finished driving it the last time after parking it, so it'll just be ready to go the next time I want to drive it (or close to ready) and it won't take a long time to charge/top off the charge! But this time it wouldn't move or even charge with the factory Club Car Accu Power charger because the charger wouldn't come on!

First I figured the Club Car Accu Power charger was bad because I had had it rebuild not long ago so I took it and had it tested, well it tested and worked just fine! But I did find out that the charger will not turn on if the golf carts batteries are not charged to a certain level (about 25-27 volts) where the charger will/can detect some voltage from the batteries! At that point the charger will turn on and start charging when and if it detects that 25-27 volts. I didn't know this and I don't really understand why it's like that, it seems pretty stupid to me cause I thought that was the whole point of a battery charger, to charge the golf carts weak or dead batteries?! Anyway, so I charged 5 of the 6 batteries in the cart to their 6 volt capacity with my Schumacher battery charger/tender then plugged in the Club Car Accu Power charger and BAM, it started charging the golf cart again! So at this point I thought I was a genius and had fixed the problem! But then, after I let the charger run it's cycle and shut off I jumped on the cart and took off to take it for a test ride.

I got out of the back yard, down the driveway, then again BAM! I instantly realized I wasn't a genius after all because the golf cart started going slower and slower until it wouldn't even move forward or reverse at all with the throttle peddle to the floor! I could still hear the solenoid clicking when I pressed the throttle peddle but it wouldn't move! I know for a fact, 110 percent that the cart was fully charged too before I took off on it because I let it charge fully, removed the charger plug, then plugged it back in again until the charger shut off again, just to make 110 percent sure that thing was changed fully before I took off on it! So I got it back and plugged the charger back in, it started charging without any problems this time but when it had run it's cycle again and shut off I did the same thing, took off on it and made it about the same distance before the cart wouldn't move anymore again!

So now I don't know what in the hell to do? Will someone that knows more about these things PLEASE HELP ME??!! Are the batteries bad? Is the solenoid bad? Could the resistor coil be bad? What else could it be? The batteries are only about a year or two old so I don't know how they could be bad, could the wreck have messed them up somehow (the batteries that are in the cart are made by/called U.S. battery by the way)? Or could the wreck have messed something else up on the cart that would make it do this? Because before that wreck happened the golf cart never had any issue's and always ran great, now I can't do anything with it! I was actually going to sell it before this started happening but knowone is going to buy a busted golf cart! SOMEONE, ANYONE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, help me, give me some suggestions on what to look for, what it could be, what to do!! I do not have the money to take it to a golf cart repair shop or I would! Any help you can give me would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220113_165051.jpg (207.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220113_165107.jpg (211.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220113_165133.jpg (205.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220114_083418.jpg (82.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220114_072646.jpg (210.3 KB, 0 views)
DevilDog04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2022, 03:02 PM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need Help With Diagnosing My 1991 36 Volt Electric Club Car DS Issue! Please Help

I would suspect the batteries. Even though the charger ran its cycle, a bad battery will not take or hold a charge. Have you tried to load test them? Check all connections and make sure they are snug. Judging by your explanation, I would start with checking the batteries.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Need Help With Diagnosing My 1991 36 Volt Electric Club Car DS Issue! Please Help

Start simple before jumping to conclusions. Check all your cables and connections.

Use a meter on the battery pack + and - terminals. Should be a little over 38v fully charged. Then drive it and watch the voltage at the battery pack itself. Fresh off the charger it shouldn’t drop below around 35-36v while you drive it. Maybe a bit less on a hard acceleration or climbing a big hill, but not a lot. If you’re dipping down into the low 30’s or high 20’s there’s a battery problem. If voltage at the batteries itself stays constant and good there’s more likely a connection problem.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #4
DevilDog04
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey Scott, thank you so much for your reply/help!! I already removed and cleaned all the battery connections (wire connections and battery terminals) with a wire brush. They weren't really rusty, dirty, or corroded to start with but I went ahead and removed and cleaned them anyway just to make sure. I also tightened all battery connections thoroughly when putting everything back together. I haven't load tested them because I don't really know how that's done? I do have a nice UEI digital multimeter but I don't know if that's what you'd use to do a load test? How do you do a load test, I have never do that before? Do I need to take them to an auto parts store to have them tested? Thank's, Jordan T.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:37 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Load test them by putting the meter leads in the main positive and negative terminals. You should have about 38v on a fresh charge.

Then drive the cart. Driving the cart will apply all the load you need.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #6
DevilDog04
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey CP241, thank you so much for your replies/help with my golf cart problem, really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!! I will try that as soon as I can and let you know the outcome. Unfortunately I won't be able to do anything with it today, I live in NC and we're in the middle of a freakin ice storm right now! Was supposed to be snow but of course we got ice instead🤬💩!! It's supposed to clear up late tonight or early in the morning so I'm hoping I will be able to give that a try tomorrow. Will update you after I'm able to give that a try, thank's again!!!
Old 01-17-2022, 10:04 PM   #7
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

look at connections to the f n r switch also and the white wire that goes to the solonoid
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
please help me!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car