lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
Cfrasure247
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 ezgo marathon overheating

I have a 1989 ezgo marathon. I have replaced the resistor coils twice, the speed wiper twice, the speed wiper board and the Solenoid. The first issue was the speed wiper sparking. That issue has been resolved but now the resistor coils are getting so hot they burn up the resistor coils board and fry the coils. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01D62FF8-D835-45D1-83D0-73292820F9CA.jpg (27.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3DC7D783-B882-4F95-9920-E849636599D4.jpg (26.2 KB, 0 views)
Cfrasure247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2022, 07:25 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 ezgo marathon overheating

Resistor coils are there to burn off power. The most efficient that cart will be is when it's running wide open throttle because the resistor coils always draw current like it's wide open but when you go slower they burn off the extra power as heat.

Do you go slow a lot? That would cause the heat you're seeing.

If you want to get rid of the heat you would have to get rid of the coils. To do that you'd upgrade to a solid state controller. ScottyB put together a kit (I think) to upgrade a resistor coil cart to a solid state controller cart. Click on Site Sponsors then on Carts Unlimited and that's Scotty's site. I don't know if he posted it on his store yet but he was talking about it the other day so you can message them if you don't see the kit.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:40 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's the link, there are two conversion kits. Scroll down to see the one for your 1989 if you're looking to do the upgrade.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/txt48-conversion.html
Old 07-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #4
Cfrasure247
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I understand it’s gonna get hot but this is overly hot in my opinion. We just use it for driving around the campground. It’s relatively flat ground. Yes we go slow a lot but I don’t think it should totally burn up the coil board. Just didn’t know if there was something I could do to lessen the heat. Driving wide open all the time is not an option.
Cfrasure247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:35 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you have stock sized tires or oversized? If you have oversized tires then moving slowly means your motor is turning even more slowly than it would normally.

Are the gears stock too or has the rear differential been changed to high speed gears? Most likely their stock but I figured I'd ask.

Another thing it could be is bad connections atthe lug where you bolt the cable on or a bad connection in the end of the cable/inside the cable. I looked at your picture again and some of you cables look undersized and others look like automotive battery cables. automotive cables aren't meant for the sustained current that a golf cart needs. Welding cable is what I use for making sets. 4 gauge for stock carts. I crimp the ends then solder them. A bad cable or poor connection to the post can generate a lot of heat.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:50 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

We often forget these things are GOLF carts. Designed for golf course use they would drive a short distance - a couple hundred yards at a time at most - then sit for a bit. A campground cart gets used far more continuously. An old resistor cart is often referred to here as a "toaster" cart. Those carts use 100% of the available battery power whenever the throttle is pushed at all. foot to the floor uses all that power to move the cart. Lesser speeds divert much of that power to those coils to reduce the power to the motor. Yes they get hot, very hot. The more you drive slowly the more heat it will generate. Clean, snug terminals will help. Anything that causes the current to have to jump even the tiniest of air gaps will generate welding kind of heat. Rust, corrosion, bent/twisted/loose connectors will all cause things to melt down. If the carts use is going to be continued slow cruising around the campground, you'll be much better off in the long run to update to a controller system. May seem expensive all at once, but it will save you in the long run - and make the cart more enjoyable.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
We often forget these things are GOLF carts. Designed for golf course use they would drive a short distance - a couple hundred yards at a time at most - then sit for a bit. A campground cart gets used far more continuously. An old resistor cart is often referred to here as a "toaster" cart. Those carts use 100% of the available battery power whenever the throttle is pushed at all. foot to the floor uses all that power to move the cart. Lesser speeds divert much of that power to those coils to reduce the power to the motor. Yes they get hot, very hot. The more you drive slowly the more heat it will generate. Clean, snug terminals will help. Anything that causes the current to have to jump even the tiniest of air gaps will generate welding kind of heat. Rust, corrosion, bent/twisted/loose connectors will all cause things to melt down. If the carts use is going to be continued slow cruising around the campground, you'll be much better off in the long run to update to a controller system. May seem expensive all at once, but it will save you in the long run - and make the cart more enjoyable.
Nailed it 100% Converting it would be much better for the slow pace of a campground.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:28 AM   #8
rsch110856
Not Yet Wild

Hello. '89 marathon. Just replaced speed board and having sparking. How did you fix that. Also no low speed. Thank you.
rsch110856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO