lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #1
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 88 Marathon Steering Wander

As title says....

All ball joints are not ripped and tight. No wobble on any linkages/rods. The steering rod ball joint is ripped and will be replacing that including the rod assembly and boot.

That being said. There IS play about 1/8" vertically on the steering knuckles on both sides. I've located all of the parts to replace these. Specifically the lower oil seals, thrust bearings, and copper sleeves (part number 6 on attached diagram).

My question is, before I buy these parts, is this amount of play normal? Im guessing no and that its likely one of the sources of the wandering (above 20mph).

Any advice is welcomed and thanks for your time answering.

PS: Im aware this is a 34 year old cart and it will not be perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-07-12 103139.jpg (317.6 KB, 0 views)
GolfNfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2022, 03:22 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon Steering Wander

Double post somehow?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:24 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

If it is only vertical play i doubt it will be the issue. Radial ( or side to side ) play in the spindles however, probably would. It might be also worth checking toe as if not enough toe in it can wander and bump steer regardless of how tight everything is.

Also play/ wear in bushes part no 37 may induce a little wandering. If none of this is the cause, i would suspect wear in the steering gearbox that i think are fitted to these older carts.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:22 AM   #4
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
If it is only vertical play i doubt it will be the issue. Radial ( or side to side ) play in the spindles however, probably would. It might be also worth checking toe as if not enough toe in it can wander and bump steer regardless of how tight everything is.

Also play/ wear in bushes part no 37 may induce a little wandering. If none of this is the cause, i would suspect wear in the steering gearbox that i think are fitted to these older carts.
Thanks for the advice! I havent checked the toe and never noticed part 37 prior. I did grab that post to check for slop and there was none. I'll be replacing the gearbox this weekend or at least most of it.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:26 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Does it just wander or are you fighting the steering wheel. If you are fighting it then it may just be toe needs adjusting. especially if you have oversize or low pressure in your
tires.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:47 AM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had an old marathon with a lot of wander. One thing to consider (which you've probably already done but I'm writing it anyway for future readers) is that cart from 1988 has probably never been greased and the king pins are supposed to be jacketed by grease. These last 34 years have certainly been difficult on that jacket of grease.

When I re-greased the front end of my cart it was night and day difference.

Now I probably had worn parts because of the lack of protective grease for who knows how long, but I greased the front end and the cart was great. I drove it for another year or so and sold it. The steering was still great. The person I sold it to used it as an ATV on a few acres outside of town... It was for his daughters to abuse as they saw fit and boy did they see fit... They abused the heck out of that cart, but the steering was still tight.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #7
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Does it just wander or are you fighting the steering wheel. If you are fighting it then it may just be toe needs adjusting. especially if you have oversize or low pressure in your
tires.
It wanders for sure. No fighting. There is about 1.5" of slop on the wheel before the tires start to move. For reference.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #8
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I had an old marathon with a lot of wander. One thing to consider (which you've probably already done but I'm writing it anyway for future readers) is that cart from 1988 has probably never been greased and the king pins are supposed to be jacketed by grease. These last 34 years have certainly been difficult on that jacket of grease.

Now I probably had worn parts because of the lack of protective grease for who knows how long, but I greased the front end and the cart was great. I drove it for another year or so and sold it. The steering was still great. The person I sold it to used it as an ATV on a few acres outside of town... It was for his daughters to abuse as they saw fit and boy did they see fit... They abused the heck out of that cart, but the steering was still tight.
Thanks! Made me realize I did not go far enough with greasing everything thoroughly. I also believe I might be missing a washer on one of the kingpins.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:58 PM   #9
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post

Thank you for the advice. 3 of the 5 ball joints have been replaced. All 5 properly greased. Steering rod replaced and lubed. King pins overly lubed.

Successfully drove the neighborhood over 30 mph with one hand.

Alignment wise Im a little confused. If what I discovered is true I love this cart more now.

Rear tire measurements center to center was 41.25. Front tire measurement center to center was like 34.5. I like that stance but it seems crazy. Anyone know the factory offset between the rear and front wheels? I want to figure out how much toe in or out Im working with....

Not running struts in the rear. With that measurement seems like I cant run some wide back tires.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:55 AM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNfool View Post
Successfully drove the neighborhood over 30 mph with one hand.
That's awesome! Glad you have it sorted.

Quote:
Alignment wise Im a little confused.
Generally the front wheels need to have their toe in set to 1/8th to 1/4 inch in.

Quote:
Rear tire measurements center to center was 41.25. Front tire measurement center to center was like 34.5. I like that stance but it seems crazy. Anyone know the factory offset between the rear and front wheels? I want to figure out how much toe in or out Im working with....
To figure out the toe on the front wheels just jack up the front wheels and spin each one while marking it with a chalk/grease pencil line. That circle will be true to the hub because you aren't following tire wobble, just a static line. Set it down and roll the cart back/forth for a foot or two so the cart 'settles'. Then measure the back of the front tires, line to line, and measure the front of the front tires, line to line. Just like that you have the actual toe in (or out) measurement and can adjust accordingly.

The rear wheels can't have their toe adjusted because they're on a solid axle. Unless you have a heavily modified cart with IRS in the back! That'd be really cool.

As for the rear track being wider than the front track, that's somewhat normal. On my 2013 EZGO the rear is about 2 inches wider than the front. If your track is really different between the front and rear then someone did some work to narrow the front or add spacers to the rear.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO