lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
gardnerphoto
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Ez Go 36 volt Powerwise Gets HOT

Powerwise with lights on front....Here in NC ,we have just gone thru hurricane irene,tried to charge my 36 volt E z go with 1500 generator,amp meter kept moving,had on for 6 hrs,only drop from 32 to 15,and it gets real HOT. I have another charger and thats works fine,I am afraid I have damaged the charger,tried to use again,household current,charger starts past 30,around 32,and gets super HOT,afraid to keep plugged in,Help ,what do I need to check,reset?
gardnerphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez Go 36 volt Powerwise Gets HOT

Check the diodes.

Did it get wet? Or was there a lot of saltwater spray in the air?
Sounds like you might have current going to places other than just the batteries.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
gardnerphoto
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

no it did not get wet,no saltwater either,(i live about 100 miles from beach),Charger is just getting real hot.
gardnerphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If I understand what you are saying, you've got two chargers. One works normally on your cart, while the other is putting out an abnormally high amount of current and, therefore, gets abnormally hot.

If the charger that works normally connects to the cart exactly the same way as the charger that behaves abnormally, the problem probably is not in the cart. (IE: Plugs into the same charger receptacle on the same cart.)

Amps equal Volts divided by Ohms (Ohms law I=E/R), so only two things are going to increase current flow, increasing the voltage or increasing the load. (Note: Increasing load means decreasing resistance)

1. Check the Diodes.
2. Check the Capacitor.
3. Check for partial shorts between the + and - output.

If you can come up with a model number for the charger, we might be able to find a service manual for it, or at least a schematic of something close.

Check out the Stickies at the top of this forum.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO