lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Default So I'm searching for a new charger.......

..since my ProTech just died. I really do want to keep an onboard but I'm not going to buy another ProTech considering the issues that me and some others have had with them. In my seach I find these chargers.......

Quick Charge On Board Chargers

At the bottom of the page is a chart showing which charger is right for each battery. I run the T890 8v Trojans which have a 190 amp hour rating. According to the chart at the bottom of the page perhaps I should be getting the 25 amp charger instead of the 15 amp. On the Quick Charge home page in the FAQ's I see this...

"How do I size a charger to my batteries?

With lead acid batteries you usually use the 10% rule. That is, the charger rating should be about 10% of the amp hour capacity @ the 20 hour rate, so if your batteries are rated at 250 amp hour you would select a 25 amp charger. This is not a hard and fast rule, and you can stray from it with the understanding that the farther you stray, the less life and or performance you will receive from your batteries."

Now that begs the question, is there more perfomance to be had or perhaps longer life if one charges at a higher amp level with the higher amp hour rated batteries? There is about $100 difference in the 15 amp and the 25 amp chargers.

Thoughts?
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: So I'm searching for a new charger.......

For $100, I'd spring for the 25a. It would be nice to know you had those extra amps if you needed them. I've never seen my TC III go over 18 or so, though. I can't imagine how far down you'd have to drain the pack for it to draw 25 amps.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Duscarter
Getting Wild
Club Car

How long did you have yours for? They replaced mine after close to a year when it died. Of coarse the one the sent me died a couple of weeks later, so I just put in another new one. Still have the old one waiting to be shipped back. Call Pretech and see what they say.

I am with you, can't go without the OBC. I will be on the cart a bunch tomorrow, so I will have an extension cord just in case.

The Sam's Club Stanley charger is on my shopping list for a back up though.
Duscarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duscarter View Post
How long did you have yours for? They replaced mine after close to a year when it died. Of coarse the one the sent me died a couple of weeks later, so I just put in another new one. Still have the old one waiting to be shipped back. Call Pretech and see what they say.

I am with you, can't go without the OBC. I will be on the cart a bunch tomorrow, so I will have an extension cord just in case.

The Sam's Club Stanley charger is on my shopping list for a back up though.
I've had it for about a year and a half. I really don't want another one. To many stories like yours. I was going to buy the Sam's charger but none of the Sam's anywhere close to me have ever even had it. I may still order one just for a backup.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
SHAWN DAVIS
Gone Wild

I bought one of them Pro tech onboards remanufactured off E-Bay. I thought it was a new unit, lasted about 4 months,complete junk.
Then sprung for a new one from Scotty, lasted about the same, maybe 6 months.
SHAWN DAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAWN DAVIS View Post
I bought one of them Pro tech onboards remanufactured off E-Bay. I thought it was a new unit, lasted about 4 months,complete junk.
Then sprung for a new one from Scotty, lasted about the same, maybe 6 months.
Yup, I'm done with ProTech. JD's Shumacher 10 amp charger pushed the batteries up to 60v and seems like they held that charge better. I usually can barely touch 40 mph on my street before I have to jump on the brakes hard to stop at the stop sign. Today she hit nearly 41. Go figure.

One issue that I've seen from the start on my cart is that the batteries would never hold 100% charge. They would always settle out to about 80%-85%. Now I'm wondering if that wasn't the ProTech charger not being able to really charge these bigger batteries to 100%.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
...........One issue that I've seen from the start on my cart is that the batteries would never hold 100% charge. They would always settle out to about 80%-85%. Now I'm wondering if that wasn't the ProTech charger not being able to really charge these bigger batteries to 100%.
Terry, I had what might be a similar problem with the 18 month old batteries that came with my cart.
They would only hold about a 85% charge until I started playing with them.
I was going to replace them, so I figured I couldn't hurt them and charged the living daylights out of them with a Powerwise II.
I charged them every night whether I used cart or not.
Sometimes I would initiate two, three and four charges back to back.
After a couple months, they were holding about 95% and I decided I didn't need new batteries before the next spring.

I wanted to experiment with higher cut-off voltages and got a DPI charger from Scotty to use while I was modifying my PW-II.
(And as a backup in case the PW-II started misbehaving, or the smoke escaped. )

The DPI has a higher bulk charge rate than the PW-II (20A vs 15-18A) and has a 39.7V float.
After using it a couple months, my pack is now holding about 98% after a 12 hour rest.

FWIW: I drove it in the local Memorial Day Parade, a little over 5 miles, and still had 85% when I got home.
(About 3 miles @ up to 18 MPH to/from and about 2 miles of start & stop & creeping along behind a high-school marching band)

Of course I've got a 36V pack of T-105s while you've got a 48V pack of T-890s, but I believe the same principles apply.

Routine high bulk charge rate followed by float charge after the absorption phase just might liven up that battery pack a bit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Routine high bulk charge rate followed by float charge after the absorption phase just might liven up that battery pack a bit.
Thanks for the info!That was my thought also especially after reading the stuff on the charger website and given the difference in settled voltage after charging with the Schumacher charger vs the ProTech. Quick Charge recommends a 25 amp charger for any battery rated between 150 ah and 300ah. I'll be calling them first thing in the morning to see if they can get me one overnighted without breaking the bank.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
sbarnes
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I had a Delta-Q onboard till it quit working after 4 months, I thought it was the best thing until I got my DPI charger from Scotty B. The battery pack is performing noticeably better than before. I am recommending the DPI charger.
sbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarnes View Post
I had a Delta-Q onboard till it quit working after 4 months, I thought it was the best thing until I got my DPI charger from Scotty B. The battery pack is performing noticeably better than before. I am recommending the DPI charger.
Hey, do you still have your delta-Q? I need parts...
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO