lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
rlpg
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 Club Car Motor is Hot and Lights Dim

Hi
I recently purchased. 97 Club Car 48 volt lifted. DS with an Altrax 500 Amp controller and upgrades motor (5.5 hp). While taking it out last night I noticed again that the lights dim under full acceleration. My cart pulls great and tops out at 23 mph. I have 22 x 8 x 11 mud tires ( that I plan on replacing).
When I got back home I felt the motor and it was hot to the touch.

Is it normal for the lights to dim under full acceleration? Should the motor be hot to the touch? I am not sure if the solenoid was replaced. How can I tell? I also noticed that one of terminals was warm to the touch. I have upgraded 4g and 2g wires through out.

Every time I have gone for ride this happens. I always plug the charger in and let it fully charge. The batteries are 2010.

Sorry for all the questions. I just wanted to supply as much information as I know.

Thanks for your help
rlpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
RPatten
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 97 Club Car Motor is Hot and Lights Dim

You said a terminal was hot. This happened to me when the terminal nut was coming lose and there was a bad connection. The electric could not properly flow so the energy turned to heat and melted the terminal. Check your battery terminal fittings.

At the time I had four mismatched batteries and old cables. This was the incentive to get new batteries and cables. That made a huge difference in performance. I am still un the process of breaking in the batteries and each day it has run better.
RPatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

You need to load test your batteries. Do you have 4 x 12v batts or 6 x 8v? Are the lights running on 8v, 12v, or 16v?

You said a terminal was hot - a terminal on the batts? Like RPatten said this could be cause by a loose connection. Make sure all battery cables (and all cables going to motor, controller, solenoid)

Which cables are 4ga and which are 2? Maybe 2ga throughout would help. Heat is usually cause by extra resistance.

If you have a lever style F/R you should probably replace it with a HD version. Check the connections on the back of it to see if there is any melting. Replace it before its an issue.
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
rlpg
Not Yet Wild

Hi-I have 6 8 volt batteries and the lights are running on 12 volts. All of the cables on the batteries are 2 G (I just switched them over) and the all the other ones are 4 G. All of the terminals are tight and I just installed a new FNR switch that was bad.

Is it normal for the motor to be hot to the touch after running three miles?

I don't think the Solenoid was replaced when they did the motor, amp and cable upgrade. How do you know if it needs to be upgraded and can that cause the problems I was talking about?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

So the lights are ran off of a 48v to 12v reducer? When you say you installed a new FNR switch do you mean you replaced the whole assembly or a micro switch on top?

The motor will probably be warm to the touch after a 3 mile continuous run. You should be able to place your hand on it and it not burn. I don't think the solenoid will cause the problem you are talking about but you should upgrade it to a heavy duty version (http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html) Solenoid is on the bottom of the page.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

About the lights dimming. You may be loading the battery pack too much with the new controller and 5.5hp motor. I'd recheck the battery charge and if necessary replace them. Anytime you push 500amps through something it is going to get warm. The more important issue is if you smell something burning.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
rlpg
Not Yet Wild

I think they are running off a 16-12 stock reducer and I did replace the entire FNR assembly. Will I notice any difference when I install the bigger solenoid? Is it difficult to install? The FNR switch was pretty easy.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpg View Post
I think they are running off a 16-12 stock reducer and I did replace the entire FNR assembly. Will I notice any difference when I install the bigger solenoid? Is it difficult to install? The FNR switch was pretty easy.

Thanks
If you're still running a stock solenoid with a 500 amp controller and a high HP motor, then the solenoid should be replaced with a HD one. The stock one is a weak link in your upgraded system, and it will choke down the flow through your cables to the motor and controler. It is about the same difficulty level of installation as the FNR switch.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
rlpg
Not Yet Wild

I have a feeling that the batteries may be weak. They charger turned off after a few hours after the three mile run. I haven't smelled anything burning but one of the positive battery posts looks like it has melted a little bit in the past. That is why I changed out the wiring on all of the batteries to 2GG. I just checked my batteries after sitting idle overnight and all are testing at 8.2-8.3. The front is testing at 48.5
Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

48.5 is about 55% charge
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car