lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
mkral
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need an opinion

Yeah I spoke with him tonight. We are going to load test the batteries tomorrow and if that comes out OK we are going to swap out motors. He is treating me really good!!
Thanks guys I will let you know what we find.
mkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
mkral
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey if you guys don't mind me asking what do you recommend for all the AlltraxDCX400 settings?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkral View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. 4ga on the pack and 2ga going to the motor, i believe, they are big. However I believe the cables from the battery pack to the solenoid are still 6ga, at least they are bit smaller then the 4ga cables I have on the pack. The cables from the pack to the solenoid do get slightly warm but not hot by any means.
I did not think about that. The math does not make sense.....hum.
Max output and top speed sliders are at max. Turbo off.
20" Trail Wolfs.
Scotty - yeah went to a 200a 800peak solenoid.
You should have a minimum of 4Ga high current cables everywhere. There is a total of 10 high current cables in a 36V PDS cart.

The 6Ga cable going to the solenoid is costing you some performance and needs to be replaced, but if it is only getting warm, it is only a contributing factor to your reduced performance rather than the main problem.

Your tires may be another part of the problem. Carlisle lists five different 20" Trail Wolf tires, One has a max inflation pressure of 4 PSI, three are 7 PSI and the other one is 22 PSI. If your tires are the low pressure type (4 or 7 PSI Max), they could be limiting your top speed. (Low pressure tires have high rolling resistance)

Which of the tires listed on the linked website do you have? http://www.carlisletransportationpro...sports/Tires35

Again, probably only a contributing factor rather than the main cause.

Quote:
Hey if you guys don't mind me asking what do you recommend for all the AlltraxDCX400 settings?
One question that hasn't been asked here, but was most likely asked by Alltrax, is: What Field Map is installed? (It should be #4)

As for settings, the ones shown on the attachment I posted in post#4 is a good starting point.

Then you can tweak them to your needs and wants once the performance issues are identified and resolved.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
mkral
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnyB thanks for the help. We now have 4 gauge on everything. We also load tested each battery and the pack. They passed. We replaced the motor with one from an 08 cart. I have the 20x11x10 tires, the 22 psi ones. But I am only running 10 psi for better ride. I have the settings just like you have on post 4. Field Map 4 is installed.
The cart would still do a burnout in reverse but was very sluggish in forward. We pulled the diode and it ran and pulled a lot better, if fact really good. FYI the diode band was towards the yellow wire on the small post. So I called Alltrax again and explained what was going on. They said pull the diode and leave it off.
So that is where we are. I am very happy with the torque and now the speed and how it pulls a hill but now I am a little worried about not having a diode on the small posts of the solenoid. But Alltrax said it will NOT effect warranty, so I guess I need to stop worrying.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's weird - Johnny, how can the diode cause this?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #16
mkral
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The Alltrax guys had never seen this either. They wondered if the diode I got was just bad and doing weird things. I don't know it is all weird to me. But it runs good now so I guess time will tell.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
JohnnyB thanks for the help. We now have 4 gauge on everything. We also load tested each battery and the pack. They passed. We replaced the motor with one from an 08 cart. I have the 20x11x10 tires, the 22 psi ones. But I am only running 10 psi for better ride. I have the settings just like you have on post 4. Field Map 4 is installed.
The cart would still do a burnout in reverse but was very sluggish in forward. We pulled the diode and it ran and pulled a lot better, if fact really good. FYI the diode band was towards the yellow wire on the small post. So I called Alltrax again and explained what was going on. They said pull the diode and leave it off.
So that is where we are. I am very happy with the torque and now the speed and how it pulls a hill but now I am a little worried about not having a diode on the small posts of the solenoid. But Alltrax said it will NOT effect warranty, so I guess I need to stop worrying.
Try running it with the tires inflated to 22 PSI just to see what the top speed and hill climbing abilities actually are.
If the tires are truly 20" tall, with the controller set like I posted, your top speed ought to be about 26.6 MPH on a hard level surface, but chances are they are not exactly 20" tall, so measure them.

As for spinning tires on grass in reverse, but not in forward, there are three factors that may be coming into play.
1. Trail Wolf tires have a directional tread, so they have more traction in one direction than the other.
2. Weight transfers to the rear wheels when accelerating forward and transfers to the front wheels when accelerating in reverse.
3. Bi-directional traction motors tend to have more torque rotating in one direction than rotating in the other direction.

As for the cart having better performance without the diode installed, I have no explanation.
In fact, even with 50+ years in electronics, I don't have a guess that is good enough to make a wager on.

The original purpose of the diode was to protect the contacts of the pedal microswitch in series carts and the pedal microswitch is not directly connected to the solenoid coil when a DCX controller is installed in a PDS cart. The keyswitch ad F/R switch contacts are directly connected to the solenoid coil, but they are far more robust than the contacts in a microswitch and can better withstand the voltage spike that occurs when the coil's magnetic field collapses.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm thinking there may be some leakage across the diode - an outright failure should would lead to nothing ( no continuity either direction) or a a dead short depending upon which way it failed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That's weird - Johnny, how can the diode cause this?
It can't, yet it does.

The DCX controller does not supply B+ to the solenoid coil (that is supplied via the Reed, F/R and Key switches), so a bad diode cannot be loading down the internal voltages inside the controller, which might cause strange things to happen.

The controller connects B- to the coil, probably via a power transistor, so having more current flow isn't likely to disrupt any other controller functions.

This is grasping at straws, but a diode with a bad front to back ratio might keep the solenoid coil from closing the contacts as tightly, but would make the pre-charge resistor get mighty hot.

Basically, I'm stumped.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I'm thinking there may be some leakage across the diode - an outright failure should would lead to nothing ( no continuity either direction) or a a dead short depending upon which way it failed.
Yep, a bad front to back ratio is a possibility, but I can't see how it would effect performance, other than not closing the solenoid contacts as fast or as tightly as they ought to be.

@ mkral: Did the resistor across the solenoid's big terminals get hot?

Also, measure the diode with an Ohmmeter. What are the readings in both directions?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO