lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"
Default A question about 36V vs 48V solenoid

I'm cheap. You can tell that from the threads I've started over the past 3 years (has it been that long?). It'd be nice if I could increase the speed of my '84 resistor Marathon buggly a bit.

I've seen lots of posts here from folks who've installed a heavy-duty 48V solenoid, HD FNR, 500A controller, etc. That costs more than I'm willing to spend on my clunker.

I'm wondering if my old resistor cart could be fitted with an additional 6V battery (or two) and a relatively minor change to the stock 36V solenoid to let the whole shebang run at 42 or 48V. This could give me an improvement in speed.

The coil in my 36V solenoid probably doesn't require much current to energize it, otherwise, the 14 gauge wires that feed it would melt. What if I was to insert a 2A 36V zener diode in series with one leg of the solenoid? That would limit the voltage to something the solenoid could handle, and still switch the 42 (or 48 ) volts on the heavy side of the device. I'd probably need another zener on one leg of the reverse warning beeper (or I could just disconnect it - it's kind of annoying anyway!).

As far as worrying about increased current and needing a beefier FNR, solenoid, and wiper board, it seems to me that running at a higher voltage would result in reduced current going through all the components of the cart. The existing contacts in the FNR and wiper, along with my 4 gauge cabling should be able to handle the lower current.

Of course, I could just have my head firmly planted and be missing something fundamental, so I'd be interested in other folks' take on this idea.

If it works, I could bump the speed in my cart for the price of a zener diode and a 6V battery or two.

Thanks,

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: A question about 36V vs 48V solenoid

Increasing voltage will result in higher current in your cart components and wiring. You better leave well enough alone. You may wind up with a burnt out cart component. I suggest you not modify this old cart. You may wind up with zero speed if not careful.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Resister carts don't last long at 48v from what I've read here.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

These guys are right about resistor carts on increased voltage but if you are going to do it anyway, keep the solenoid activation circuit on 36v
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the responses. The question was just a result of some el-cheapo-daydreaming.

What do I have wrong in my thinking that if I increase the voltage, I decrease the current flowing through the high current circuits?

RLW
Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you increase the voltage in a DC golf cart it will push more current through the wiring and motor. Increasing voltage in a DC golf cart will not decrease current. I don't know where you got the idea that increased voltage will decrease current in a golf cart by adding another battery.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In AC Current a 240 motor will pull a lot less current than a 120 will, but I don't think that applies with golf carts.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #8
rib33024

The higher you increase the voltage 48v - 72v, the less the amp draw will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw View Post
Thanks for the responses. The question was just a result of some el-cheapo-daydreaming.

What do I have wrong in my thinking that if I increase the voltage, I decrease the current flowing through the high current circuits?

RLW
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
The higher you increase the voltage 48v - 72v, the less the amp draw will be
This is true when something burns out from the high current from the increased voltage.You can't increase the voltage in a 36 volt DC cart by simply adding another battery in series with the existing golf cart battery without increasing the current draw at the same amount of pedal.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
If you increase the voltage in a DC golf cart it will push more current through the wiring and motor. Increasing voltage in a DC golf cart will not decrease current. I don't know where you got the idea that increased voltage will decrease current in a golf cart by adding another battery.
I got the idea from Ohm's Law. It could be that I'm confusing an inductive load with a resistive load, however.

My thinking was that the resistance of the coils in the motor is a fixed value, therefore, increasing the voltage to said coils decreases the current flowing through the system.

Does a DC motor act as an inductive load rather than a resistive load? Maybe that's why current increases with voltage.

An explanation of what I'm missing here would be great.

Thanks,

RLW
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO