lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Default 79 25DS points mod to electric ignition

I saw a thread over on buggiesunlimited about converting the points system to electronic. Seem like you still retain the points system, but that will in turn feed a HEI module that will control the spark, so the points setting will be irrelavent I assume?

Here is the wiring diagram, similar to the HEI conversion on the 80's cart, but you need a transistor to invert the signal and a resistor I guess to pad it down some.

I am curious as to what people might think or if anyone has done this before on here.

If i do the simplest version on the top left, it looks like i need to take the condensor off.
Scottn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 79 25DS points mod to electric ignition

So no body knows anything about this? I assume the W & G terminals on the HEI are the inputs for the ground disruption. If that is the case, then I can wire the points to it using the transistor. I am thinking I do not need to loop W to B then like in the diagram above, as if you look at the HEI conversion for the 80's carts, the pulsar positive and negative go respectively to W & G. So I can just use the cam action of the points to feed the HEI instead of using the actual points.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I have no experience of the circuits above but many decades ago when I was in college (and sadly it was decades) we used to build something similar. The reason was to stop the points from switching high current which of course is what will wear the points and cause you to have to adjust them. This looks like the same principle and as the HEI unit is fairly cheap I say go for it. My advice would be to get the cart running with points first so that if you subsequently have problems you know its not the old part of the cart.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I just did this mod on my polaris motor today. Works good.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
I just did this mod on my polaris motor today. Works good.
Which method did you use? The basic one?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Fig 1 in the pic
Old 08-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Did you notice any improvement? How were your points?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I really don't notice anything different. I did this mod because I swapped out the 3pg motor for a similar Polaris motor with points. I have a 4-pin HEI module in it now. I want to be able to make it run in reverse, so I did this mod, and will be installing a 5-pin HEI module. The 5-pin module will retard the timing 10 degrees when the extra pin is connected to ground. I will connect it to ground only when in reverse. Not sure if 10 degrees is enough, but I'm going to try it. The points look brand new.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO