lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
power791
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart will not move under own power

I have a 1990 club car that the kf82 engine was recently changed in. The drive clutch seems to float rather than putting pressure on the belt causing it to rise and the cart to move.
power791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Cart will not move under own power

Quote:
Originally Posted by power791 View Post
I have a 1990 club car that the kf82 engine was recently changed in. The drive clutch seems to float rather than putting pressure on the belt causing it to rise and the cart to move.

More information would help here Power.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
power791
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by power791 View Post
The engine was rebuilt/exchanged at J&M Golf Carts. It was installed and the person working on it had a stroke so I got pulled in. I finished the install and the cart runs but will not pull itself when stepping on the gas. Jacked up the rear end and it will pull the tire until you put your foot on the tire. Watching the centrifugal clutch/drive clutch it expands as you are gassing it and the belt wants to climb but it appears the clutch goes back enough the belt can not catch the sides.

I have an EZ-GO with a club car engine and it appears to be setup all the same. I have not been into the clutch on the EZ-GO but feel like some springs may be missing or does it completely operate from the spinning without springs?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
fastercarter
Gone Wild

You have a bit of a hybrid by the sound of it. EZ-GO brake drums have a habit of shearing the splines from the brake drums. This causes a loss of drive so that's one area to check. Re your clutch, slip the belt off and fire up the engine, you should see the drive clutch smoothly transition from open to closed as you give it gas. Let's start there and then move along.

FC
Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
power791
Not Yet Wild

Hey faster, thanks for helping me with this. We need to forget the EZ-GO as it is a totally different cart. However it does have all Club Car equipment under the seat. But back to the Club Car that will not move. When I was called in the drive clutch was taken apart so I slipped it back together and put it on. With the belt off, the drive clutch opens and closes normally when giving it gas. If I put the belt on and jack up the rear end the tires spin, if you put your foot against it it stops. The belt on the drive clutch tries to climb but the inner part of the clutch seems to not keep enough pressure on it so it can continue to climb. I am just thinking, but I think there should be a spring inside the drive clutch. There were no springs when I put it back together. I did find a drawing on here that is very similar to what I have but I don't follow it real good as it looks as if there are many parts that I do not have. Now I cannot find that drawing again.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
fastercarter
Gone Wild

OK, belt off. The outer sheave of the drive should be hard to close, it should require you to squeeze quite hard to achieve this against the spring pressure. Next, are you sure you have the correct belt ? I imagine you are running a CC rear end so you have belt part No 1016203 (I'm assuming 92 -04 components). Was the cart running when taken into the shop ? Why was the clutch taken apart in the first place. If we can work back to why this started we'll have a better shot at diagnosing it.

See if this helps. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ve_clutch.jpg/

FC.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
power791
Not Yet Wild

Faster,
Looking at the drawing, I don't think I have items 9 or 10. Mine has a big washer that sits inside the clutch itself on top of part 16 after it is assembled to the shaft but nothing else other than 1-8 then 12-19.
The lady had been driving the cart, when it arrived at the shop it was being pushed by a truck because the motor was blown. Someone else pulled the motor which she sent to J&M in Georgia to be either rebuilt or exchanged.
He had taken the clutch apart trying to figure out how to take it off the engine I guess. Then he had a stroke and someone else put the motor back in but could not get it to run. This is where I came in, got the motor running put the clutch back together and put it on and the cart would not move. It still has the belt that she was driving it on, it was not changed.
It is probably going to be a couple of days before I get back to it, I have a bass tournament tomorrow night.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Hey power, I think FC is on the right track but are you near J&M or was the motor just rebuilt there? Jack and those guys are really helpful so if you were close, they could probably just look at the clutch parts and see what is missing. There are also some club car techs lurking about here as well..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Just a thought... Did you use the proper engine/clutch alignment tool when bolting the engine into the cart? If those things aren't lined up perfectly straight they'll put the belt into a bind and do exactly as you're describing.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
power791
Not Yet Wild

I did not use a clutch alignment tool, I didn't even know one was available. I figured the bolt in the center aligned it to the shaft. I will try to find one to purchase.

I took the clutch apart tonight and found a spring under a bushing the belt rides on. The spring was keeping the clutch collapsed. I turned the spring over and the clutch popped open and I could squeeze it closed pretty easily. It had some resistance to it but not what I would expect. After re-assembling the clutch to the motor I took it for a drive and it ran ok. I thought I would take it up the hill in the driveway and it slowed considerably going up the hill. I have some pictures of this clutch as soon as I figure out how to attach them I will.

I am not near J&M the engine was either rebuilt or exchanged there. I am not sure I just got in on the back end after it was installed and not running.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car