lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
Buck9s
Not Yet Wild

Default Thoughts on stereo options: floor, roof, sound bar, pods, Bluetooth?

Thoughts on stereo/music options? There are a lot of options (which is good) but I have no idea was sounds best/really good or what is more difficult to install than it's worth, given other options.

My family and I want to listen to music as we cruise around Coronavirus World. I have a 2015 TXT T48 with a 2" lift, 12" wheels w/ street tires, and the Rhox custom dash that has two lockable compartments (left & right sides) so mounting speakers in the dash isn't an option (my wife likes the lockable compartments).

I'm targeting $500 - $600, all in (cheaper is fine, if the quality is there), on a set-up (I already have 12v power) and want good quality, full sound (relative to what a golf cart can do). I don't need a headunit, Bluetooth only is fine, but I'm ok with having one. Ideally it would have a Class D amp, since they are so much more power efficient.

My options, as best I can determine are:
  1. Upper-corner Floor Board Speaker Pods (6.5" speakers) with a hidden amp
    - Pros: Larger speakers/fuller sound; sound direction is back and up towards riders
    - Cons: More complex install (e.g. separate app, speaker wiring, pod install); take up a spot where I find myself putting my foot

2. Integrated sound bar; either above the front mirror or on the rear roof supports
    - Pros: Simple to install, all contained in a single unit, mounted out of the way
    - Cons: Reviews for speaker bars in my price range are so-so at best. Claims of poor construction and/or lack of low end (relative to other options)

3. Roof mounted speaker/head-unit set-up pod/box
    - Pros: Simple to install, larger speakers/fuller sound
    - Cons: Not sure of the quality of the speakers; most seem to have head-units(IMO an unnecessary use of power); large speakers are right next to our heads (can you turn it up without the front passengers going deaf); Poor sound direction (speakers always seem to be pointed straight down into the floor/ground)

4. ATV/Wake boarding boat style speaker pods that mount to the roof pillars
    - Pros: Seemingly good quality system w/ good full sound available for my price range, tested designs (on boats and ATVs), available roof mounted subwoofer
    - Cons: Looks (the pods with good sized speakers seem oversized for mounting on a golf cart roof supports)

5. Stand-alone Bluetooth speaker: Bose, JBL, or one of a dozen other brands
    - Pros: Super simple, can use the speaker anywhere, no installation needed; cheapest option
    - Cons: No good place to put it (are there mounting options?), single source of sound, doesn't feel/isn't integrated into the set-up

Thoughts, experiences? What brands do you recommend, not-recommend?
Buck9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
kofifi
Getting Wild

Default Re: Thoughts on stereo options: floor, roof, sound bar, pods, Bluetooth?

i went with number 1.
I also opted to put a 10" sub in the back of the cart. Sounds GREAT!!
kofifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
Buck9s
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Thoughts on stereo options: floor, roof, sound bar, pods, Bluetooth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofifi View Post
i went with number 1.
I also opted to put a 10" sub in the back of the cart. Sounds GREAT!!
What speakers and amp are you using? Would you change anything if you were to do it over again?
Buck9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

I've used a Nyne Bass Sport Bluetooth speaker in several carts. It's portable, has an active subwoofer, fits perfectly between the front and rear seat, great sound and plenty of volume. The best thing is you can use it on the boat, deck, back yard or wherever and it's less than $100 on Amazon. Single charge last 10-12 hours.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I put two 6.5" Blaupunkt speakers between the front and rear seats, aiming forward. Then I put two 4" Pioneer speakers mounted directly under the dash. I had a Pioneer head unit and it really cranked! I replaced it with a JVC that is "rated" the same but nowhere near the power of the Pioneer.

The box for the two 6.5s is a triangle from the side. The speakers aim forward with a very slight tilt upwards. The box is divided so the speakers have their own airspace.

The box for the two 4" is actually the cardboard tube from the center of roll of carpet. It's quite thick and I just painted it with black bedliner, the same as I did for the other box.

Sound is great! Before the addition of the 4" speakers the highs suffered when there were two people in the front seat, because the speakers aim at the back of the front seat riders. But the mids and midbass came through just fine. So the 4" allows the front riders to have good sound quality regardless.

I did mount a 12" sub in a box under the rear seat, but it gave me nothing but problems and when it did work it didn't work that well...

If I were to do it again and I only wanted bluetooth connectivity and didn't care about AM/FM/CD then I'd get a nice Bose bluetooth speaker. I have the SoundLink Mini and when my stereo was down setting this on the dash right behind the windscreen worked surprisingly well...

I didn't like the overhead speaker pods because I didn't want them in front to occlude my field of view and how they looked. I didn't want them in back because I was worried my kids would hit their heads on them.

$0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I went with this kind of up but mine is marine grade. Bluetooth, amp is under front cowl. I used 3 way speakers in my aftermarket dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kenwood.jpg (175.0 KB, 0 views)
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
Tsteak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just installed JBL 6.5" Stadium Speakers, and a Stadium 2 amp (I think I'm remembering the names correctly). Speakers rated at 75w and amp at 100w. Got a marine head from JVC. All sourced on Amazon/Crutchfield for roughly $330. It absolutely cranks. The amp specifically draws a small amount of amps. Going to add the JBL nano sub when I sort my battery situation, but haven't yet and they sound great without it. Haven't heard the sub yet either, but the size, power, and price is right...

If someone can tell me why 90% of my pictures get turned sideways, you would alleviate a great burden of fluster from my forum life; I must be missing something simple, but it's kicking my a$$...

-anyway, quite happy with the form/function of this setup:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0150.jpg (301.3 KB, 0 views)
Tsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsteak View Post
If someone can tell me why 90% of my pictures get turned sideways, you would alleviate a great burden of fluster from my forum life; I must be missing something simple, but it's kicking my a$$...
You're holding your camera sideways... You're welcome!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I just installed JBL 6.5" Stadium Speakers, and a Stadium 2 amp (I think I'm remembering the names correctly). Speakers rated at 75w and amp at 100w. Got a marine head from JVC. All sourced on Amazon/Crutchfield for roughly $330. It absolutely cranks. The amp specifically draws a small amount of amps. Going to add the JBL nano sub when I sort my battery situation, but haven't yet and they sound great without it. Haven't heard the sub yet either, but the size, power, and price is right...

-anyway, quite happy with the form/function of this setup:
How do you like that dash? I plan on ordering the same one.
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

least it's not 100% like mine
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluetooth, sound bar, speakers, stereo, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO